I decided to start writing letters to my kids on their birthday, starting this year. I've seen a few other blogger friends do this, and i think it would be such a special gift to give them one day. So Mia girl, this is your extra long birthday card :)
Dear Mia,
On your first birthday, I want to write you a little note. It’s hard to believe that you are really a whole year old! And not just because you are in the 3rd percentile..although your miniature size sometimes makes people confused..(should someone that short be able to walk???) It’s just that, it doesn’t feel like it was very long ago that I held you on your very first day—you were so tiny. I secretly worried that if I sneezed and wasn’t holding on tight enough, you’d fly right out of my arms. But here you are now, a spunky, curious toddler with oomph that rivals the energizer bunny. This is what I know about you so far. You are fearless, and you are joyful. You’re quick to smile--at anyone who makes eye contact with you! You are sooo wiggly. Dressing you is nearly impossible—you have trouble sitting still for longer than...1 second. You give me a run for my money every single day with your infinite energy. I would never change you though—I love your happy demeanor, and constant excitement. Seriously, when I think about the things that actually make you upset…the only motivators I can think of are 1. You want food…lot’s of food. Or 2. You want to play with something you can’t have. But if your belly is full and your hands are occupied, nothing seems to phase you. It’s been really fun watching you learn how to walk. You take a few steps, go crashing down, and then stand up and walk some more. Over and over, with this adorable determined look on your face. You definitely keep your mom busy, and she is totally in love with you.
You love me too--I can always tell, especially when I come to get you after a nap--standing their, shrieking with joy. I love dressing you up—Daddy is very understanding about our addiction to hair accessories. I hope you always let me play with your hair, because as you know, it’s one of my favorite hobbies. I was so excited the day your hair became long enough for pigtails! I think that we could be great friends when you grow up J
Your eyes light up whenever your dad comes into a room too. You two have a special connection. You love looking at him and playing with the scruff on his face, pulling on his glasses, and focusing on his great big smile. You may not hold still very often, but your dad seems to have a talent for getting you to settle down on his shoulder, and has even gotten you to fall asleep that way a few times! He thinks you are just about the cutest thing there ever was—and he’s not alone in that opinion. We love you cute little Mia!
And to you, your big brother Jake is by far, the coolest and funniest guy in the world. (When he isn’t taking away a toy or smashing you), you can bet he is probably either making you laugh, or protecting you from danger. And yes, mommy thinks he may be your guardian angel. You are a fearless explorer, and Jake has made it his goal, as your big brother, to tell mom when you’ve gone too far, and is constantly on the lookout for small objects around the house that you might swallow. You and your brother have opposite personalities in many ways, but you have one important thing in common—you genuinely seem to love each other. I hope that you will always look to your big brother as a source of guidance, comfort, and friendship in your life.
On one hand, it sort of feels like I just blinked and this year flew by. But then I look at you, and my heart feels so full. It’s hard to remember you not being in our family—You fit in so perfectly. I’m so grateful to have your sweet spirit in our home. Happy first birthday my little Mia girl. I love you so much!
***Big thanks to Mia's aunt Jessica for making the adorable birthday hat and shirt! More pictures of the birthday party to come :)







5 comments:
Geez louise how is it that you ALWAYS make me cry!? I love that little Mia girl so much and I'm especially glad that we get to be around this year to get to know her too! I can't stand all of these pictures because they are just SOO cute! Thanks for bringing such a special little girl into our lives! :)
Same with me!! You always make me cry, Kristie!! What a nice thing, to write a letter to your kids on their birthday!! Mia will LOVE this and cherish it forever!!
What a cute little Beebs! What great pictures!!
CUTE!!!! I can't believe she's already one. Sad how fast they grow up. I'm glad you're doing birthday letters. I think those are so special. And I love all the new pictures.
I cannot believe she's one! She's a little doll. And yes-girls are so fun to dress. I need another baby girl because mine's getting too big and I'm afraid she's not going to want to wear bows in her hair for too much longer. What a great idea to write a letter to your kids on their birthdays. I definitely want to start that tradition.
Kristie, this is beautiful!! I loved every word of your letter to Mia. What a cute girl you have...I too can't believe she is 1! CRAZY...we have your Christmas card from last year still hanging on our message board, and Mia was teeny tiny. I love that she has spunk. And those two bottom teeth are adorable!! Happy Birthday Mia. We love all of you guys.
Post a Comment