Friday, April 19, 2013

March 2013

I think that March might be my favorite month of the year in Arizona.  Its just starting to get warm--warm enough for the occasional afternoon at the pool.  Most of the month is in the 70's and 80's. I really enjoyed it this year.

We kicked off the month with a big milestone: Potty Training Mia!! I'd been postponing it for awhile, waiting to exit my morning sickness phase.  But by the end of April, we knew it was time to take the plunge.  Mia was constantly taking off her diapers, and was very interested in the potty.
Training couldn't have gone any smoother.  The first day was rough, but after that she caught on quick. Even wearing a pull-up, the girl did NOT want to have an accident.  I remember one night in those first couple weeks, Mia got up during her nap and came to the door.. she had accidently "gone" in her pull-up and was horrified.. she came to me crying, and said "I'm Disgusting!!!!"  (I don't know where she got that phrasing from, because even now, after she goes number 2 on the potty, instead of asking to be wiped, she still says "I'm disgusting". kinda funny.)
Anyway, long story short--Mia is rockin' the potty. And we are proud :)

This was how I staged the living from before day 1.  Towels on the couch and floor, a shiny new stack of Tinkerbell panties, and her all time favorite Ninja shirt.
 First weekend in March, we went to a family festival at the Train Park.  They had all kinds of fun free activities for the kiddos!
Waiting for a magic show to start.  Jake actually got invited on stage as a volunteer!  Sadly I don't have a picture--just a video.  But he looked pretty cute up there!
 Wes surprised the kids with a water activity table for the deck one afternoon.  (early Easter present)  It's given them lots of fun in the sun since then!
 Jake is still thriving at Preschool! can't believe how much he is learning each week. The kid is a sponge.
He's really excelling in math.  I'm amazed at his ability to add 2 and sometimes even 3 numbers together in his head.  The teachers said he is really methodical about it, and that they think it'll be a strength for him in the coming years.  way to go Jake!
 This girl is so crazy :)
 I'm so in love with her hair texture.  It smoothes out a bit after I brush it, but right out of the tub--pure ringlets.  I hope she keeps them for a long time!
 Out on a preschool morning doing a little shopping :)
The kids were very excited when it became warm enough to go to the pool! They really missed it all winter!
The next few pictures crack me up--I think they really show off Mia's silly personality. 
 Relaxing in the hot tub :)
 I forgot how tired my kids get after being out in the sun all day.  They eat/sleep so well during the summer. 
Notice that Jake passed out with his arm still in his bag of Pirates Booty.
One day, Mia fell asleep right at the table..
 ...Of course Jake had to pretend he fell asleep too. lol
 One of Wesley's old mission buddies came into town one weekend, so we all got together for dinner.  I'm glad he has such a great group of "brothers" out here in AZ. 
 It's nice for the kids too :)
Mia's hair is finally long enough for a side braid.  I've been dreaming out this for a long time...luckily, she actually enjoys having me do it too! 
 When Daddy has a day off, Jake always gets spoiled with some kind of fun treat.  Cold Stone is one of his favs.. and it's right down the street. (dangerous, I know)
 One day, we were at the splash pad and they had a DJ set up and playing music.  Mia climbed up this big grassy hill, and started "dancing".. I was impressed by her insanely high leg lifts.. she looked more like she was doing yoga poses than actual dancing.  This went on for about 20 minutes.
 Tis the season for birthday parties in Jake's preschool class. There must have been something in the air back in 2008--lots of spring babies!!  He has enjoyed celebrating with his friends!
 Towards the end of March, we finally went and registered Jake for Kindergarten.  It was a surreal experience.  We chose a school a couple months ago, but I was putting off signing him up.. in denial I suppose.  But he was really excited to turn in his paperwork!
 Mr. Jake--freshly enrolled to start Kindergarten in August.  yikes!!!!
The last week of the month, my sister came into town with her two kids for a visit, and of course we celebrated Easter.  I'll save that stuff for the next post.  Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

The Thelins said...

Great update. Mia sleeping at the table is one of my favorite pictures of her of all time. Ooh and her side braid! CONGRATS on the potty training! Isn't it crazy how come kids take to it as easily as anything, and some kids take forever? Just goes to show you how different they all come. I'm glad you guys are out of diapers though! 2 in diapers sounds awful (actually- Kristin had 2 in diapers for about a year and a half, so I witnessed it first hand. Crazy.) Can you believe our babies start kindergarten this fall? Registering Peyton was so weird to me. Also, during the orientation video, I cried. I'm going to be a wreck come the first day of school.

Sydney Marné said...

Okay, first of all, Mia is such a little diva with her sunglasses at the pool. I love it. I was also dying laughing when you said Jake had to copy Mia sleeping at the table....so hilarious and typical. And it's even funnier because it is the most obvious fake sleep ever with that smile. hahaha I feel like I remember doing crap like that and thinking I was so funny or smooth. I can't believe Jake is so old now and starting kindergarten. It's so awesome that he is loving preschool and really excelling with his counting. What a smart boy! Also, love those Mia curls. How can I get me some of those?! Love the post!!!

Unknown said...

I read this awhile ago but never got around to commenting! But I loved all the pictures! I can't believe Jake is going to Kindergarten!!!! So crazy. He's looking ready as ever, though. And I agree with Syd...Mia @ the pool = diva. And I'm glad Mia got the hang of potty training. I'm really hoping Violet will too if I give her a few more months. Love you guys!

Sabine Schindler said...

I love the diva pics of Mia at the pool, but my favorite would also be the one of her sleeping at the table. So cute!! Jake starting Kindergarten!! Where did the time go. So crazy. I'm glad he's loving preschool and that he loves to learn. Go Jakey, with your mad Math skills! You have two smart and very cute kids! Pretty soon, I'll get to be close to them! Yay!!

Rachel said...

When did Jake get old enough to go to Kindergarten! Ah! He is the cutest little guy!