Friday, April 5, 2013

Some pregnancy updates :)

In a few days I'll hit 23 weeks along in this 3rd pregnancy.  I thought I'd spend a post writing a few things about my experience so far.  My symptoms have been pretty textbook--I was sick from the beginning, and it tapered off around 15 weeks, with a few bad days here and there. By this point I'm back to feeling great, and just enjoying the glow of the second trimester!  I pulled together a few belly shots that I took along the way, and a few other special photos as well :)

11 weeks along
Ultrasound at 13 weeks. Cute little peanut :)

I got some sort of stomach virus, or food poisoning around 13 ish weeks.. I was so incredibly dehydrated that I wound up in the ER one night, contracting and unable to stand.. not my favorite weekend ever :(
After a large dose of Zofran and 3 bags of fluids I was able to go back home.  A good friend of ours (one of Wesley's old mission buddies), was able to come stay at the house that night while we were gone. Got home around 2:30 am.. I'm grateful I was able to have Wesley with me.. maybe I should consider myself lucky--3 pregnancies, and this was my first experience with needing IV rehydration.
 Finally starting to feel better!--15 weeks
Almost 19 weeks 
At 19 weeks it was finally time for the BIG ultrasound.  I had such mixed feelings on the days leading up to that appointment.  Of course, I was really excited to finally know the gender of our little baby.  But in the past couple years I've seen several of my friends and family walk out of that mid-pregnancy scan with all sorts of bad news; ranging from possible defects, serious problems, terminal defects, and even, loss of a baby.  These women are some of the most amazing people that I know, and were handed such heart breaking trials coming out of that ultrasound.  Plus, between Wesley and I, there are several birth defects that are found in our families.  So as much as I tried to think positive, it was hard to ignore my nerves coming up to this special day.
Jake really wanted to come along, and I debated for a long time whether I felt alright with that.  If the ultrasound didn't go smoothly, did I want my 4 year old in the room?  But after praying about it and talking to Wes, we felt ok about involving the kids.
The radiology center had an aquarium in the waiting room, so Mia and Jake were even more excited to be there :)
While we waited for our turn, my sister Jessica called me.  She asked if I had any secret wishes for the gender of our baby.  I thought about it, and responded that I really didn't care.  On the one hand, I LOVE girls--I love doing Mia's hair, buying clothes for her is so much fun.  So another girl would be exciting in that way.  But on the other hand, Jake really wanted a brother, and I could somehow really see Mia doing well with a boy on each side of her.  She is such a tough girl, I knew she'd be able to handle it. ;) Plus, boys really are a lot of fun to raise.  So there were things to be excited about either way.  It calmed my nerves thinking about that part of my ultrasound as we waited those last few minutes.
 The longer I sat on that bed with the monitor gliding over my belly, the more relaxed I became.  The results were perfect.  I know there is still a chance that something can go wrong, but we got through this next step without a problem, and for that I am so so grateful.  
About midway through the scan, the radiologist got an unexpected shot of our baby's little pelvis (we were still looking at the heart at the time). Without any warning, we learned that Jake and Mia will be getting a new brother!!!
(It's a boy!)
I was shocked and silent for about 3 seconds, just trying to absorb the moment.  
Jake broke the silence. "A boy!!! Oh thank you, thats what I wanted!!!!!!!"  In that instant, I knew this was exactly how it was meant to be.  This little guy is going to join our family, and I can't wait to meet him and see how it all fits together. I'm so excited to be his mom, and for Jake and Mia to gain another lifelong friend and companion.
Jake loves to remind me that he and Dad and the new baby make 3 boys against 2 girls, so they "win".. and honestly, I think I'm ok with that ;)

4 comments:

Christine said...

We're so happy for you guys! And you look fantastic, Kristie!

Kaeloni said...

So fun! Yay for boys!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for another little Hurst boy! :) Somehow it just seems to fit. I nearly cried reading Jake's reaction to the news! And I agree you look awesome!

Rachel said...

AH!!!!! I am seriously so out of the loop. Congratulations! That child will undoubtedly tie for worlds cutest child! You & Wes do good work making beautiful babies :) Congratulations, Kristie!