Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Jake's New Independence

*Disclaimer* The first part of this post is a semi-detailed account of Jake's potty training experience...if that doesn't sound fun to you..just skip past it and enjoy the pictures :)

When Jake turned 3 last April, I felt a lot of pressure to start him on potty training. So many of his little friends were already trained, and I had heard that "3" was the magic age for training little boys. But there were a few things holding me back:

1. We were about to move to a new state
2. I wanted Mia to be able to sleep a 10 hour stretch if possible. (just so I would have more energy to focus on Jake)
3. Jake just didn't seem like he was ready to do it.

So I waited. A couple weeks ago Jake began constantly asking for a diaper change about 2 seconds after he peed, and seemed to be more interested in the potty itself. I waited until we were all done unpacking the boxes, waited until Sydney had come and gone, and then I decided I couldn't put it off any longer. I was so nervous about training him, and was worried it would be a drawn out and painful process. Taking notes from friends and family, I set up a plan to make the experience more fun for him. We did a sticker chart, where he would get a reward sticker for every potty success. We also did a special treat for each success (chocolate covered Gummy Bear!). And for the number 2's--I bought and wrapped a bunch of little Hot Wheel cars, so that he would continue to feel happy and motivated about doing his business in the right place. I also decided that I wasn't going to worry about night time training for now--we are going the Pull-up route when he sleeps.

Things went great!!!! He had about 5 accidents on that first morning before we had any success. I tried hard to make it a positive experience for him, constantly reassuring him that accidents are ok. But of course, Jake being an OCD neat-freak, he did NOT like having those accidents. It only took one successful experience on that potty, and since then (over a week later) he has only had one accident. And after day 1 I have hardly needed to remind him to go, he just remembers and runs to the potty when he feels the need. Way to go Jakey!

I stayed home with him for 4 days, but by then, he had the potty thing down. Someone gave me the idea of putting his little potty in his room at night though, so that he can get out of bed and use that if he needs to go--because of this, he often wakes up with a dry Pull-up. I am so relieved that he is excited and happy about his new skills. We've gone out on errands a few times, and he has been great about telling us when he needs to go potty, and holding it til we can get to a public restroom.

I'm so so proud of my little Jake!

I took this on Jake's 3rd day of Potty Training. He has his star chart hanging up in his room, and it's now very very full of stickers :)
Proudly displaying his big boy undies!!!
The only problem I'm facing now, is getting him to keep clothes on..we are lucky if he remembers the underwear after he goes potty. forget about the shorts.
Jake LOVES the show Blues Clues (they have 5 seasons of it on Netflix!) During our week at home, he watched it more than I care to admit. He is now obsessed with drawing, and will explain what he is creating in a quiet voice while he illustrates, just like Steve on the show: ("and now I need a squiggly line..followed by a rectangle...and a circle over here...") It's sooo cute, and he is getting so good at drawing!
He calls that chair his "Thinking Chair" and that sketch pad is his "Handy Dandy Notebook". So hilarious.
He also uses his Magna Doodle a lot. Thanks to Omi and Opi for giving him that, it is his current favorite toy.

Sometimes he will draw something that looks so realistic. I always try to snap a picture of the good ones, before he wipes them away. If ya can't tell, this one was a car :)
Obviously this post was all about Jake, but I thought I would finish it up with a few Independence Day pictures. (Mia and I were actually sick as dogs for the most of potty training week, and 4th of July Weekend. But by the 4th we felt good enough to go out, and as a little family we went shopping at Desert Ridge.)


I love coordinating the kids for a few pictures on each holiday. They are such a cute little pair, I just can't help myself!


I feel so great right now--3 new posts this week, and I'm finally all caught up on my blog!
I feel so lucky. I have a husband that I love, and who loves me back. (Also I think he's super good looking:) ) I have 2 adorable little kids, who are learning new things each day, keeping me on my toes & helping me grow. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them so much. Can't say it enough times. I miss a lot of things about my old home, but Arizona really is pretty great, and the most important people in my life are still living right here with me. And thankfully, through I-chat, Skype, and my cellphone, I still feel very connected with all the people I love and can't see everyday. Life sucks occasionally-- (yes, I do sometimes throw my hands into the heavens and scream WHY????!!!!! when it's extra tough)..but I feel like my trials are good. I come out of each one a little stronger and wiser.

This is why I love writing this blog. Yes, I love recording our progress and happenings, I like keeping a journal, and sharing it with friends and family. But mostly, taking quiet moments to sit here and type helps me to reflect on just how grateful I am for the blessings in my life.
Thanks for reading :)

4 comments:

Sabine Schindler said...

Alright, you really inspired me again to do something about my "never journaling anything"!! Your kids will be sooo grateful to you for taking all those pictures and writing down your feelings. What a treasure!!
I'm glad you're so grateful for all of your blessings and they truly are many, even if it's tough to be a Mom sometimes!
Jakey and Mia are so so cute and they look so happy together. Can't wait to see them running around with each other! Until then... enjoy the stationary, happy to just be smiling at people, Mia! :o) Glad you're feeling better. Congrats on the three blogs! I'm very impressed!!

Sabine Schindler said...

And boy oh boy!! I forgot to congratulate Jakey on his accomplishments. Way to go, big boy Jake!! And way to go, Mom! I loved all of your tricks!

The Thelins said...

UM, Jake is drawing at about a 5 year old level. That is SO impressive. I'm so glad potty training was painless. There are so many benefits of waiting until your child is ready. Congrats on only having one in diapers! That's gotta feel good. And I love the matching outfits. VERY cute kiddos.

Unknown said...

Great post! Way to go, Jakey! And I agree...his picture is awesome! Glad that Sawyer has a good example of a 'big boy'...maybe he'll be ready to potty train sooner than later...we can only hope :).