Monday, January 6, 2014

Mia's 3rd Birthday letter

Dear Mia,
A few weeks ago you turned 3.  You anticipated this benchmark with a lot of excitement.  (You spend so much time with your 5 year old brother, I'm pretty sure it makes you believe that you are much older than your actual age.)  In fact, on your birthday weekend, you boldly demanded that everyone needed to call you "Three" instead of "Mia" or "Emilia".  If we said the wrong name we were quickly corrected.

This has been a big year for you.  6 months ago you became a big sister, graduating from the baby status in this family.  Then just a couple weeks later your older brother started Kindergarten.  Your playmate now spends the weekdays away at school with all his older buddies.  Its been an interesting adjustment for you in lots of ways.  But I think you really love the time we get together, just us girls.  Your brother Caleb still sleeps a ton, so that means we get lots of one on one time at home.
(You love shopping at Trader Joes, Costco and Target. Just like mommy!)
Another big change in your life this year was having Omi and Opi move to Arizona.  You love going down to their house.  In the weeks after Caleb was born, you spent quite a few nights over there.  Grandma and Grandpa are in Utah, so you don't get to see them as often as you see Omi and Opi, but you love them all so much.  Thats another thing that makes you special Mia, you truly and openly love the people in your life.  Your desire to share that love and joy is infectious.  You pretty much have all of us wrapped around your cute little finger :)
When people meet you, it doesn't take long for them to fall in love with your cuteness.  You're as tiny as ever, weighing in at 26 pounds.  You have a huge vocabulary and stellar pronunciation for your young age.  You really are incredibly smart.  It's so funny listening to you tell stories at 100 mph in your high pitched minnie mouse voice.  And your lively facial expressions are so hilarious.  Its hard to describe, but I take videos of you talking all the time.  Constant eyebrow raising, squinty eyed smiles, and silly faces.  You are nonstop entertainment.
You're still as energetic as ever.  Probably even more so than last year. (Your legs got a lot longer, so you can run faster, and jump higher...) Also, much to mommy's dismay, you've quit taking naps.  We think it's your high energy combined with a fierce desire to not miss anything that's happening around you. You pretty much go go go until you crash.

Zonked out at church.  Once you're out, there is no waking you up. 
(This picture makes me laugh. You were watching Beauty and the Beast for the first time.. you were really suspicious of the Beast..)
Sometimes your high spirited, tenacious personality can be hard to handle.  You are not quick to listen or to follow directions, always determined to find your own way.  But you are very quick to smile, give hugs, and say you love me.  We've had rough patches here and there when you and Jake are a little out of sync.  The two of you couldn't be more different in personality.  But your sweet spirits have one thing in common--they are full of love.  Sometimes we have a day where you two can't seem to get along--I've found that if I just separate you for a little while, you both realize that you'd rather find ways to cooperate than not get to be together.  Because you really are best friends.  You love giving your brother a hard time, but are quick to say sorry and give him hugs when you've gone too far.  Your favorite things to do together are color, do art projects, and pack up a bunch of toys, blankets, and pillows from your room to go on "trips to Disneyland".. (which means the deck...I'm glad it seems magical to you. ha.)
When Caleb was born, I wasn't sure how you would handle being dethroned as the baby.  Honestly, you've really taken it in stride--Initially you weren't very interested in your new brother.  But now that he is getting older, you are starting to enjoy trying to make him laugh.  You are my number one diaper tosser, and you love taking turns with helping out to feed him.  I'm excited to see your relationship grow further in the months to come.
In October I finally took you to an allergist.  Your eczema is still around, and I was sure you had developed an allergy to several kinds of nuts.  When we went in for your initial skin testing, you were so brave.  They scratched your back with about 30 different potential allergic triggers.  We had to wait for a half hour while the hives grew, and during that time you weren't allowed to touch it.  I held you in my lap and distracted you with my phone.  You were quiet, and clung to me, clearly focused on trying to ignore the urge to scratch.  My heart ached as I watched 1-2 inch wide hives and welts erupt all over your back.  When the doctor came in to look at the outcomes, you waited quietly.  As soon as he left, you looked up at me, tears brimming in your eyes, and quietly asked if you could please have some lotion now.  It broke my heart watching you be so tough.  We whipped out a tube of cortizone cream and put a nice thick layer on those hives.  

Later that week you endured getting your blood drawn as well.  Living with severe allergies like yours is not very fun.  We've spent countless hours lathering you with lotion at all hours of the day and night trying to keep your itchy skin under control.  In most areas of your life, you are very stubborn and fight to get your way--but you really understand the importance of taking care of your body.  I never hear an argument from you about being left out when your brother is eating something with nuts in it.  In fact, you've started asking "are there nuts in this" whenever you get a new food, especially if someone besides mom is preparing it.

 You might not be able to control the medical parts of your life, but you've taken ownership of pretty much everything else.  You love picking out your own clothes.  Every night before bed, you take stock of your closet, and start asking me to pull things off the shelves, one by one.  Sometimes the combinations look hilarious, but you actually have a pretty good eye for color coordination.  You love having me do your hair, and love to sit while I do it.  (The only stipulation is that you have to be part of the decision on style and accessories for the hairdo.)  You really are something little Mia girl!
You are addicted to boxed chocolate milk.  If you could have anything, that would be your top choice.  well, that or a good steak..  You're my little cow lover--steak and milk.. I think you'd survive off of those 2 things alone if we let you.  And any time we eat out, you want a nice big hamburger.  I think your favorites are In N Out or Smashburger, but you don't turn your nose up at the cheap fast food either ;) Our cute little carnivore. 
You also love carbonated beverages a little too much.. fortunately, you don't seem to care if I give you sparkling water instead of root beer sometimes ;) 
Yesterday was the first Sunday of the new year.  We went to church like always, but you really surprised us this time.  (The first Sunday of each month, instead of hearing from speakers, the church members are invited to come up to the pulpit and share their testimonies if they feel inspired to do so).  Well Mia girl, you got it in your head that it was your time to shine.  When you expressed an interest in going up in front of hundreds of people to share your "beliefs" Daddy simply said, "Mia if you can do it by yourself, I'd love to hear from you."  Jake decided he wanted to go too, and you led the way.  I couldn't decide if I was more proud, or more terrified of what might come out of you when handed a microphone ;)  As you walked up there, your sparkly polka dot dress swaying back and forth, they lowered the pulpit all the way down, adding a step stool and lowering the mic.  You stood there, looking out at the crowd.  With no fear, no hesitation, you boldly declared that you "love mommy, and daddy, and Jake, and myself.... and Jesus and Heavenly Father, and mommy, and Jake, and myself..(sorry caleb, maybe next time you'll get a credit haha)"  you pretty much went round and round in a circle, sharing your love with everyone, until daddy came up and helped you finish.
I was moved to tears and a little laughter, watching you fearlessly share your testimony.  Because in your three year old heart, what you believe in most is your love for others.  Being a mom has changed me in a lot of ways.  I'm trying hard to teach you each day, to help you grow into the best possible version of yourself.  Really though, I'm the one who seems to be learning the most.  You have amazing courage inside of you.  Sometimes your determination teaches me patience more than anything, but really, I want to be brave like you.  You take chances every day, whether its deciding to give me a small heart attack with your ninja-like antics on the playground, or going up in front of hundreds of people to share your testimony.  I'm a pretty cautious person, and you've helped me to relax.  It's incredible what an example you set for me each day--so much tenacity, joy, determination, and imagination rolled up into a beautiful, smart little 3 year old.

I was rereading my birthday letter from when you turned two.  A lot of things are still the same but a couple things have become even better with age.  You still have your head in the clouds, but now you demand that I come along with you into your imaginary worlds.  You are still very high energy, but you are able to calm down if I invite you to curl up on my lap and cuddle.  Your most used phrase is probably "I wanna hold you!!!"  You really are bursting with love little Mia.  At night, after you kids are asleep, sometimes daddy and I will talk about you guys.  Sometimes one of us will say "I just don't want Mia to get any older!" You have such a vibrancy, a zest for life, and an unconquerable spirit.  And you are just so dang cute.  But really, even though it makes my heart ache to think of you all grown up, I'm still excited for it.  You have special and unique gifts Mia, and I can't wait to see you grow into them.  You can do anything in this life--with your courage and your loving spirit, I believe that you'll put your beautiful potential into amazing things. I love you so so so much.  Its impossible to describe the fullness of my heart as your mother.  Happy 3rd Birthday Mia girl.  I can't wait to see what this year has in store for you :)

3 comments:

Nate hotty buns mcgee said...

I know, I know, I always say this--but you seriously do it to me every time! Tears!! I love that little Mia girl so much! Cute, sweet, spunky little Mia. She really is all of those things you described. I loved all of the pictures, they are so perfect. These letters are going to be a real treasure for her one day. Happy Birthday Mia! We love and miss you!

Nate hotty buns mcgee said...

ps that was Jessica, not Nate Hotty Buns Mcgee. Sheesh.

Sabine Schindler said...

What a treasure, indeed!! I love that you take the time to write these letters about your very special children. And Mia is exactly how you described her... so full of life, joy and love for others! I'm so grateful we get to experience her first hand! Loved all the pictures!! Good picks!