Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Mia Mouse Birthday Party

For Mia's birthday this year there was really no question on what the theme would be.  Minnie Mouse is Mia's all time fav.  The only thing left to decide was whether we would go pink or red Minnie.  In the end we opted for red since Mia's birthday falls 10 days before Christmas :)

My mom and I got carried away looking at cute ideas off of Pinterest in the weeks before the party.  We didn't end up doing every single thing we had envisioned, but in the end, it all turned out pretty darn cute.  And most importantly, our little Mia Mouse was thrilled with her magical party!
We ended up doing it at my mom's house and just invited some friends who lived near her.

My mom made the cute invitations (edited for the internet)
She also sewed the headbands.  The party wouldn't have been this cute if she wasn't so involved and crafty.  Thanks mom :)
"Mia Mix".  Since Mia is allergic to nuts, this was a nut free trail mix--m&m's, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.. so basically, all the good stuff ;)
Minnie Mouse sugar cookies.  Buttercream frosting (turning that stuff bright red is harder than it looks!) and fondant polka dots
I've been wanting to try my hand at fondant cakes for awhile.  I did some research, watched some online tutorials, bought a few tools, found a brand of fondant that didn't taste gross, and this is what we created :)  It was originally supposed to be a two tier cake, but after a few baking hiccups, I chickened out and made 2 separate cakes instead.  I was prepping myself for a nightmarish first experience, but it ended up actually being really fun! I really enjoyed working with the fondant, and want to try it again soon :) 
 Jake and I watch Cake Boss together all the time--his reaction to the cakes was actually even more fun than Mia's.  I'm officially his hero, and he thinks I make cakes "As good as Buddy!" (thanks for the vote of confidence kid) hah.
My dad helped quite a bit too.  He got a helium tank and filled lots of balloons, and got a bean bag toss. He worked all day on setting things up with us.  It was a lot of fun working together with my parents on the party.
Cute Mia, all dolled up for her party.  Here she was walking to answer the door for her guests! ;)
 Stringing candy necklaces
 She was beyond excited about her high heels.
 Bean Bag Toss--can you see the Mickey bean bags? My mom sewed those too.  Crafty, I know ;)
 Balloon Stomp.
 They were surprisingly hard to pop.  Wes ended up giving Mia his keys to help her pop them.  We had some adults sitting on them and they still wouldn't pop hahaha.
 Getting ready to blow out her candles! 
 The white cake had chocolate inside, the red one had vanilla cake :)
 Thanks to my party co-host :)
 Happy Birthday Mia!!!
Pretty sure she had a good time ;)

3 comments:

JaNea Neff said...

This really is too cute! Charlotte also LOVES Mini Mouse. She would be over the moon with a party like this!

Sabine Schindler said...

It was such a blast to get ready for this party! I'm glad we didn't do everything we had planned...there wasn't even time! Haha. The kids had so much fun and so did we!

Unknown said...

Great job you guys! (i'm not surprised!, lol). Mia looks adorable and I am super impressed with all the details!!!!