Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Caleb--6 months old

I haven't been the most avid blogger since Caleb was born.  It makes me sad in a way.  Writing is so nourishing to my soul.  It helps me to sort out my feelings, count my blessings, and of course, record memorable experiences as a mother.  But the past 6 months were very full.  Hectic, busy, sometimes kicking my butt--mostly wonderful though.

Caleb is an incredible little boy.  So smiley and cuddly.  He sleeps a lot, and when he is awake he rarely cries.  It's probably a combination of me becoming a more practiced mom by round three and the fact that he really is the most chill baby ever.  Whatever the case, I'm grateful.

At 6 months old, Caleb is weighing in at 18 pounds.  He's basically a classic Gerber baby: 50th percentile for both weight and length, bright blue eyes, fat cheeks, chunky thighs :)
He started sleeping through the night around 2 months old, but then about 2-3 weeks later, teething kicked in full blast.  Since then, he gets up at least once per night, sometimes more.  I don't really mind most of the time.  Thanks to his very successful tongue and lip tie surgeries, breast feeding is going extremely well.  We went from about 90% pumping to 100% nursing.  It's so much easier getting up at night for a quick nursing feed than having to pump and bottle feed at 3 am.  He and I both feel pretty happy with how it's turned out :)
He can roll really fast across the living room floor, and scoots backwards.  No sitting up or proper crawling yet--not that I'm complaining.  Honestly I feel like he is growing too fast as it is.  I know it's important for him to reach his milestones (in terms of healthy development), but I'm just not in any hurry.  I really love mothering during the 4-5 month infant stage: when the babies are nice and sturdy, but still lean into your body when you hold them, and can't get away from you yet.  That phase flew by painfully fast.  But I have to admit, he does get cuter and cuter every month.  His smiles are becoming even more animated, his eye contact connection is stronger (how do babies manage to flirt just with their long-lashed eyes? mission accomplished Caleb).  Jake, Mia, Mom and Dad will do just about anything to get belly laughs out of this boy.  (not to mention all the grandparents, whether at my parents house or via Facetime) Nothing lifts my spirits like this sweet baby's laughter.  I think it's safe to say, Caleb has captured the hearts of everyone in this family.  We all really do adore him :) Happy 6 months little man!!!

Here are some of my favorite photos take from about 3 ish to 6 months old.
After his lip tie surgery! Look at that poor swollen top lip!!!! :(
Cuddly boy :)
still tiny but getting sturdier here!
Napping outside in the baby gym. somewhere between 3-4 months old
First picture I took where you could see his true eye color emerging!
In honor of Mustache Movember ;)
Starting to look older!
between 4-5 months old.  Jake did this to him.  He thought it was so so funny :)
 This kid got even happier (if thats possible) once he learned how to roll over
 Solid foods? no thank you.
"Mom, get me outta here!!!"
Drool catching bandanas. One of my better investments :)
I can't believe those incredible blue eyes!!
 Teething hard.  He always has his hand in his mouth now.
 Sunbathing after a dip in the hot tub :)
 He's not a huge fan of eating pureed foods so far. (But I'm a huge fan of his arm rolls..)

 He is however a fan of sucking his own thumb, and watching his brother play games on his Nintendo.
 He's got us all wrapped around his tiny little finger!!!!
We love you buddy :)

3 comments:

Sabine Schindler said...

I am so lucky to be part of my cutest little Caleb's life! He really is a little sunshine baby! Great job capturing the first 6 months of his life!!

Nate hotty buns mcgee said...

AHHHH!!! I am so SAD that I can't be there to experience this adorable babe! He is SO stinking cute. I love everything about him. And it's so weird to me how much of a whitey he is...with the blue eyes and lighter hair and all. Crazy how you think your kids are gonna look one way, and they always surprise you! And that last picture is so perfect. I love it. So many great pics...wish I could snuggle all those rolls! Love you Caleb!

Unknown said...

Um, that was Jess not 'Nate hotty buns mcgee'...sheesh