The flight back from Germany was exhausting, but at least it was a day time flight. My kids really turned out to be just terrible at sleeping on planes, so that was frustrating--but we got through it without any major tantrums. When we landed back on American soil, we'd just experienced a 2 hour drive to the airport, 2 hours preflight, 9 hour flight, and then we had to stand in a customs line for 45 minutes.......without our strollers. (we had gate checked them, specifically so we could strap down the girls, fill them with carry ons, and throw the carseats on top.. all to find out that they had sent them ahead of us to the baggage claim).. so we stood in a giant line with 4 tired kiddos and all our crap in tow.. needless to say, I was not a happy girl.
I only got a couple pictures during that day, and I think the following picture of Mia illustrates the level of exhaustion pretty well LOL.
As sad as it was to have our trip end, I've gotta say, I was really happy when we finally got back to my mom's house. You know that feeling when you've had a long day and you flop down into bed..and can't believe how amazing and soft your mattess feels? That's kinda how if felt.. The trip to Germany was a long and amazing day, and my mom's house was a giant pillow-top mattress :)
We stayed there for just over a week, and I had such a wonderful time. We kept things very low key, hanging around at home, laying out in the yard, eating, watching Downton Abbey every night after the kids went to sleep. I couldn't have asked for a better experience decompressing after such a big trip!
So, the kids did pretty well dealing with the jet lag after this flight. The midnight zombie waking hours that we'd dealt with going the other direction didn't happen-- going to Germany and adjusting 6 hours forward seemed to be harder on their systems than the reverse. But we could still tell they were just as tired as we were. The first couple days, we periodically found them just laying on the floor in random places, moving in slow motion and acting stoned. (this NEVER happens with Mia.. she doesn't even sit, let alone lay down)
Poor babies!!!
Even though the adults were being pretty lazy, Jake and Sawyer always found some way to entertain themselves!
Like washing Opi's car?
And constantly getting their clothes soaked. at least 5 times a day.
Yum.
Dad's chocolate chip cookies: He's famous for them, seriously.
Soooo worth the calories..
I think these babies were the most important part of my jet lag recovery :)
Mia has a pretty tight bond with her Opi.
Thank goodness for Omi and her endless supply of fun for the kiddos!
Painting birdhouses!!
My mom has been a preschool teacher for over a decade--one day she did a little music lesson with the boys.. On this picture they were supposed to be showing us their grumpy frog faces. hahaha.
Wouldn't be a visit to Fredericksburg without a lunch at Eileens!
Stopping to smell the flowers.. (and if I remember right, I think Violet actually stopped and ate a flower.)
We went to the community pool a few times too!
I love my little buddies!!!
This picture makes me laugh every time I see it. silly girls.
One day I had lunch with my friend Kim, and finally met her little boy Aiden!
I wish I could see this handsome kid more often :/
It was definitely more hectic being under one roof with all four troublemakers, but they really have such a great time together. It made me happy to see them loving each other more every day!
Playing restaurant. I love Sawyer in the background, running the register ;)
The day before I left, my friend Jenna came into town, and I was able to see her and visit for a bit! She has a daughter who is just a little older than Mia, and she is pregnant with her second.
It's so crazy to me how we all have kids now--so many new little people running around!!!! makes me feel kind of old.
It was a truly amazing summer, and it was so strange to have it coming to an end! To my Mom, Dad, Jess, Syd, and all the crazy German family--thanks for making my summer so unforgettable. I'll always be grateful for this experience. :)
After 6 weeks of traveling, I packed several suitcases--full til the zippers were ready to burst. Jess and I had booked flights that left within an hour of each other, so once again we packed up my mom's van, and headed to the airport. After 3 flights that month, this final 5 hour flight didn't really scare me. I think I got stretched to the max, and may have overcome some of my travel anxiety in the process. So that was good. I was really sad to be saying by to my family--but I think Jake took it the hardest. (He screamed and cried when we had to part ways with my mom) But once we took off on that plane, he came to terms with yet another change, and started to anxiously think about all the things he would be flying home to: His bed, his toys, his friends, and starting preschool. And most importantly--seeing his daddy again.
Momma was pretty excited about that part too. And look who I found waiting for me in a line of chauffeurs at the baggage claim?
It was a joyous reunion.







No comments:
Post a Comment