About a week after I came back from my Utah/Europe/Virginia vacation, Jake started Pre-Kindergarten. Last year, being so new to the Phoenix area, we opted not to send him to pre-school. So this was his first experience with a structured class setting (unless you count Primary). Last winter, I started searching for the right school for Jake. I told Wesley, "I just want the place to be affordable, without smelling like old books and cat pee". Finding that combo in Scottsdale turned out to be a tall order, but we eventually managed to find the perfect place!
I came across an ad for a brand new school called "Natural Choice Academy." The teachers all have masters degrees, and the school is completely organic--they have air purifiers in all the classrooms, filtered water in every faucet, and a big organic garden out back. The kids get to take turns helping in the garden, and the school chef incorporates the food that they grow into the lunches and snacks, which are also organic. Added safety bonus, I use a code to get into the building, and a fingerprint scanner to check him out. Comforting stuff for Phoenix :)
Seemed to good to be true. (I'm pretty sure the only reason it's affordable right now is because it's so new.. my bet is that the prices go up in a couple years.) But we got lucky, and since I enrolled him so early, we got a spot reserved. Now we just had to wait for the exciting first day!!
Luckily, I shed most of my tears the weekend leading up to his first day, so I was able to "stay strong" in the moment. ;)
I could tell Jake was a little nervous that first day. We came about 10 minutes early so I could stay for a bit. He walked in with his chest puffed up, shaking a bit. One of his teachers came right over, and led him to a table with a bunch of paper and safety scissors. This calmed him down (he is OBSESSED with cutting paper). I said bye to Jake, and he got up quickly, ran over and gave me a big hug and kiss. I reassured him that I would be down the street running errands during that first day incase he needed me (I think that made a huge difference). And then I left.
His experience the last couple months has been fantastic. He's learning a lot, his teachers are awesome. We have been working like crazy together on his picky eating habits, and I'm seeing improvement every week. He goes 3 days a week, 9-12. It's been really good for him, and as it turns out, its been great for me too! Running all my errands with just Mia is so much easier--and I'm really enjoying my one on one time with her. I had so much alone time with Jake in his toddler days, and I think that time with Mia has been really helpful.
I have a bunch of school related pictures to share, some that I took, but mostly ones that were emailed to me during class from his teachers. I took the first several on a Parent day that first week. :)
Parents Day was actually a snow day!!! They hauled in a ton of snow for the kids to go sledding! Only in Arizona, a sledding party when it's 100 degrees outside :)
he LOVES music class :)
We did a playdate awhile back with a couple of his school buddies, at the train park :)
Helping in the garden!!
I'm happy for Jake, I can tell that he really loves to make discoveries, and is constantly telling me cool new facts from preschool. As much as it pulls at my heartstrings that he is growing up fast, it's been a very natural next step in his life. I'm trying to savor this year as much as I can. Next year he will have to go to kindergarten, and around here they do 8 hour days. I'm not looking forward to that milestone, but I believe he will be ready for it when the time comes.Jake, I'm so proud of you every single day, and love you so much. When I think about it too much, I feel like my heart might explode. Love you like crazy.












2 comments:
I am SO JEALOUS of your awesome preschool!! That is EXACTLY what I want for my boys! But there's nothing like that that I know of in my area :( We also had a pretty limited budget. OH my goodness, the garden is so so so cute and I love that picture of Jake playing a baby sized guitar!
That preschool looks like it's the bomb. I wish we had one of those up here. It's funny how apparent it becomes that your baby isn't really a baby anymore once they are in school. I don't even want to think about kindergarten next year. I will be a crying mess.
Post a Comment