Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Germany: Post #2

Continuing from where I left off, we started the next week in a super fun way-- The Monday after we arrived, we drove 45 minutes away to "Europa Park."  I've gotta admit, I was dragging my feet about even going initially.  I didn't have Wesley there to back me up, and hadn't taken my nice double stroller on the plane, so I was imagining a day of standing in lines, trying to keep Mia happy in the little umbrella stroller, and chasing Jake all over the place.

I couldn't have been more wrong.  Guys, Europa Park is AWESOME!  It was about the size of Disneyland, but the lines were pretty much nonexistent, and there were tons and tons of kiddie rides.  The park is divided up into different countries, so that wherever you are, the rides, decor, and restaurants all match.  I felt like we went through a blitz run of all the exciting countries in Europe :)  Plus, everything felt really spread out, lots of places to sit and relax, the grounds were gorgeous.  It was heavenly, and just soo much ground to cover.  We could've stayed for a week.  (we did actually end up going back for one more day at the end of the trip)
The kids had a great time, it was honestly a very drama free day.  Yay for theme parks! 

(We went to the park with a couple of my cousins, their kids, and my Aunt Gabi. Here is a picture of about half the party!)
 Watching a show.
 The teacup ride in Holland--isn't it cute??!
 Just a section of "Viking Land" -- The whole area was kid friendly, lots of rides where Jake could go all by himself, big playgrounds, sand beaches with water to play in. it was awesome.
 One of the many houses in "MarchenLand" (fairy tale land) Hansel and Gretel!! Knock three times and the old witch pokes her head out the window to invite you in ;)
 Not that we really sat down much to relax, but we had to grab a picture of this cozy little spot.  Seriously, so many romantic little corners everywhere.  I wanna come back here with Wes!
 Security was pretty relaxed at the park.  They let Mia do this ride with Jake, and didn't care that I hopped all over the ride tracks to keep her safe/take pictures. Woohoo!
 I love this shot.  Mia was so engrossed :)
I took a lot more pictures from the park, but we went again the next week and I have more from that day to share.  Safe to say that Europa Park was a highlight of the trip for our kids (and for us!)

It's been a couple months since the we got back, and I'm starting to forget exactly what we did each day (should've blogged sooner).  I think we may have had a relaxing day with my grandma after the park, and then we spent a day in Strasbourg, France.  My grandma's house is in Southern Germany, about 30 minutes from the French border.  Strasbourg is famous for this beautiful old Cathedral. 

When we stood in front of it, Jake started panicking, and asked me why the tower was falling over.  The optical illusion with the clouds was impressive (and semi-frightening)!
 Enjoy the following photo of Mia...it was one of the very few times in Strasbourg when she wasn't whining/crying.  She picked that day to be the drama queen ;)
 I just love all the woodwork.
 
 One major perk of being happy little troopers--Gelato on every corner! ;)
 Last time I came to Europe, I had just graduated High School.  It was crazy revisiting all the tourist spots, remembering what it was like when I was 18!
 My life is a lot crazier now that it was back then, but it really is wonderful.
 Those darn boys--they were constantly up to something, but they definitely had more fun as a pair.  Such good little buddies :)
 We took a breather at this square, where there was randomly this big carousel! 

Naptime on the go.
The kids enjoyed some very bumpy rides rolling over the cobblestones all day!
 We stopped here for lunch, at a little restaurant next to the water. 
 "Flammkuchen"-- seriously YUMMY.
 View of our little lunch spot from across the canal.
 Bakeries bakeries bakeries!!!!! We were burning so many calories with all the walking, I didn't feel the need to exhibit any sort of self control :)
 
After Strasbourg, things started to get interesting..Jessica's kids got the flu, so she was pretty much homebound with the little sickies for several days.  Syd and I spent an afternoon at the lake with my Aunt and cousins, and things stayed pretty low key.

Unfortunately Sydney only stayed in Germany for 10 days, and on Thursday of the second week she headed back to the USA.  The night before she left, we walked down to the cemetery, to visit my Opa's grave.

(My Oma's house. It was incredibly nostalgic being there again. Fun fact, when I was born, this was the house I came home from the hospital to!)
 Jessica didn't come to the cemetery with us, her kids were still pretty sick, but she did come out for a quick group picture!
 Jake was so sweet! Before we headed to the cemetery, I talked with him a little bit about how we can visit graves to remember people that we love, who are in Heaven now.  I told him who we would be visiting.  He decided all by himself that he would pick flowers along the way, to give to his great grandpa :)
 Putting flowers in the vase.
 I love the way the plots are done over there. SO beautiful.  
I felt such a sweet peaceful spirit, visiting that cemetery. My grandparents were such a big part of my life growing up.  I miss them, but kinda felt like I had them both with me for a little while that night. 
I think that's enough for tonight.  I'll post again soon, lots more to write about :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great re-cap Kristie! Still bummed didn't make it to the cemetery that night :(. Oh well. You're right though, Europa park was definitely a highlight ;)

The Thelins said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! I just read your first post about the trip, too. I can totally relate. When we were in Europe (without kids), Jade and I kept saying to each other, "I'm so glad we didn't bring our kids." Whenever we saw tourists chasing around toddlers and preschoolers, we seriously were counting our blessings of being sans-children on the trip. You guys are all stars for bringing them when you were outnumbered! (But I'm sure your grandmother was elated that you did.) When I saw the picture of the lavender sachets she sewed, it reminded me of the hankies she sewed for Syd's wedding. What a neat lady! (I hope I remembered that right.)