Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No More Newborn

This past week we celebrated Jacob's 3 month birthday.  I was told that 3 months marks the end of the "newborn" stage, although in my opinion, Jake hasn't looked newborn in probably 6 weeks.  But as I look at his progress over the past few months, he has definitely changed by leaps and bounds.  First of all, he is a pro at holding his head up. (well most of the time anyway..when he is tired, we thinks he looks remarkably like a bobble-head toy.)  Also, his love affair with the giraffe continues, as well as a plethora of other colorful trinkets.  Because of these two new advancements, Jake is finally grown-up enough to sit in an activity chair and play!  It's so fun to see his eyes light up with joy when we put him in his exer-saucer.  You can see the immense satisfaction on his face at being able to sit up like a big kid and have so many new fun things to play with.His favorite game is to sit in his chair, suck on all the toys, and watch disney movies.  Speaking of Disney movies, i have something to say for the classics.  Mr. Disney really new what he was doing.  Do you realize that the music never stops going in Cinderella? Why can't they make them like that anymore?  Jake has twice the attention span when there are both colors and music.

Also, just yesterday he became sturdy enough to sit in his Bumbo chair.  I let him play in my room while i was unpacking boxes (yes, nearly 2 months later and i'm STILL unpacking.)  I parked him in front of a big mirror that i have yet to force wesley to mount on the wall, and Jake made a new friend.  He talked to his reflection for about 20 minutes--it was so funny.  

And then the most important milestone of all....drumroll please....
as of 3 days ago, Jake has begun sleeping through the night! thats right ladies and gents--we are now sleeping a 7+ hour stretch.  I'm not sure what this is comparable to, maybe finishing a marathon.  Not that i've ever done that, but seriously, I am so happy.  

It's so amazing to watch him grow stronger and more independent each week.  I can't express how seeing him learn new things brings me so much joy.  Being a mother has made me become a little less selfish and a little more tenderhearted.  And i know its only going to get better. Because Jacob is all mine for the next 18 years. 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so cute, I am glad you are enjoying your baby...the time does fly by fast! Happy that you can sleep again:) It was fun getting to meet him in person, I no longer think your mom is crazy in thinking that he looks like you...there is some "baby Kristie" there!

Unknown said...

I miss him already!!! And I'm glad the Bumbo is working! HE's so cute! We're in Germany now at Kristel's house. Went horseback riding today and mom got thrown off...she's ok but has a pretty sore bum. Scary. It definitely didn't do anything to increase my affection for horses...ugh. love you guys!

Molly said...

I love the mirror trick! I'll have to remember that for someday.

Jerai Moulton said...

The picture of Jake in his saucer is so cute--he's getting so big and to such a fun age. I think I'm still in denial that Jess and Nate are gone and yes, Jade and Ashton are moving to Portland. You guys are welcome to come over when ever you want!

Doug & Robyn Ellis said...

Try the Baby Einstein videos as well. Sydney absolutely loved them. They have lots of flashy colors & great classical music.

The Thelins said...

I LOVE this post!! I read it two times because it made me so happy. (I still have mommy hormones) Jake is so adorable and I am so excited for all your fun milestones! It makes me excited for Peyton to become more interactive. Congrats on the cutest little stud I know!