Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Caleb's First Birthday Letter

My sweet little Caleb:
A month ago you turned ONE.  Looking back on the past year with you, I didn't write as much in my blog as I did with the other 2 kids. It was a crazy busy year--daddy finished up with his graduate school program, and right around your birthday we bought our very first house, packed up, and moved from Scottsdale to Gilbert.  You won't remember that apartment in Scottsdale even a few months from now, but there will always be a special place in my heart for that home.  It was there that we brought you from the hospital last summer. It was there that I spent those first 12 months with you.  And sweet sweet Caleb--I will forever love and cherish those days.
I thoroughly enjoyed you as a baby.  Not sure if it was because you were so incredibly happy and relaxed, or if it was because I'm finally getting the hang of infant care. Probably a combination of the two.  Daddy can back me up on this one though, in my eyes, you were practically perfect.  A good napper, quick to smile, happy to be held, and so cuddly. I couldn't have asked for more in my 3rd little baby.
Around 10 months old, you flipped a switch as we started phasing into toddler mode. Now you are practically running circles around my legs! We lovingly call you our little ankle biter--you want to be moving, but you really really love me, so you don't usually stray very far.  About every 30 seconds you are back again, tugging on my knees wanting to be picked up. One of your favorite games is to lunge back and forth between mom and dad, smiling to yourself every time we pass you back. (That game will go on forever if we let it).
Pretty much the only times you aren't dancing around my feet, it's because you are being sneaky. Your favorite sneaky things to do are unroll the toilet paper (and eat it), and pull out the tupperware.  The other day you found my deodorant stick, took the cap off and ate some.. that was gross.
In addition to eating toilet paper and deodorant, your favorite foods right now are meats (all varieties, just like your sister Mia.), scrambled eggs, greek yogurt, pringles chips, and most importantly..Watermelon. Oh, and chocolate (also all varieties).  Sometimes I let you have semi sweet chocolate chips for dessert.  You love picking them up with your tiny little fingers, one by one. :)
If I give you a food you don't like, you'll pick up each piece, and (while staring at me) throw them on the floor.
You are starting to talk and babble all the time! Your number 1 word is "uh oh".  You said other words before, but this one is heard most often.  You went through a phase where you shouted at the top of your lungs when there was something you wanted. Small, loud, isolated shouts. Not the cutest part of your vocal development--luckily, you don't do it as often anymore ;)
Your big brother and sister really love making you laugh.  It makes my heart happy seeing the three of you play together.  It's happening more and more all the time!  Jake takes his job as big brother very seriously. He looks out for your safety, and loves carrying you around, and showing you how to play with cars.  He already has you making the "vrooom" sound! Now that Jake is back in school after the long summer break, Mia is especially grateful to have you at home with her. If we can just get you to stop pulling her hair, we will be good to go ;)
As I said before, daddy had an insane year with work and school. He didn't get to see you as much as he wanted to, but you were always so excited to sit with him when he was home. Even on his most draining days, I noticed how being around you would lift his spirits.
I'm so grateful you came into our family.  You bring something very special to the equation.  We all truly adore you. Not just us either--all of your grandparents, and the rest of our friends and family too.  We all get swept up by your big blue eyes, your chubby cheeks, and your spunky and sweet attitude. Your personality is hard to define. You have lots of energy, but can sit and cuddle too.  You are very attached to me, but are also happy to be held by everyone who loves you. You fall a lot trying to keep up with your brother and sister, but rarely cry over it. You are tough but tender. Oh Caleb, somehow you are everything!
This is the point in your birthday letter where I should be saying "I can't wait to see what this next year will bring for you!" Maybe in some ways it's true....No, actually, it's not.  I feel like you are growing up against my will.  There is a tiny, logical part of my brain that knows a lot of things will be easier when you get a bit older. I won't have to worry about you choking on legos, and I'll be relieved when diapers become of thing of the past.  But the much larger, emotional part of me just isn't ready.  I'm so in love with Baby You. With each passing year, my heart is taking on more love for this growing family of mine.  But with every change, it breaks a little too.  That doesn't make any sense.  But it's the truth.  Before I know it, your baby fat will melt away.  In the meantime, I'm going to be kissing your cheeks every single chance I get. I hope thats ok with you!
Happiest of First Birthdays to you, my Caleb.  

You really are one of a kind, and I love you.

1 comment:

Sabine Schindler said...

He really is a perfect and happy baby and I'm so glad i get to witness it. You did a wonderful job, capturing his personality. Love all the pictures too!! Happy Birthday, cute little Caleb!