Dear Mia,
A few days after you turned four, we were out grocery shopping as a family. You suddenly started crying. We asked you what was wrong, and between your sobs and sniffs and crocodile tears, you explained that you didn't want to keep getting older. It turns out you were suffering from a little bit of "Peter Pan Syndrome." We tried not to laugh as we explained all the cool things about growing up, but you insisted that it wouldn't be any fun being a grown up like mom and dad because it would mean you couldn't spend every day playing "mommies and babies" with your brother Jake, and also snuggling with mom in the mornings. I tried to explain that you would be able to play mommies and babies with your own real life baby someday. (That revelation just made things worse.) You begged and pleaded for me to search for a way to help you become 3 again. I tried to reassure you that you would be little for a long long time still, but you told us it wasn't true. That you were getting older every single day.
Rip my heart out kid, as if I wasn't painfully aware of the fact that you are getting bigger every single day.
Another spectacular year has gone by for you Miss Mia. Your size didn't change much.. a few inches taller, only about a pound heavier. But your spirit grew by miles. You remain the Queen of the house. Everyone who meets you gets a kick out of your feisty, articulate, passionate personality. We have countless new "Mia stories." Like the time we visited Omi and Opi's ward and you stood up boldly in from of their Primary, and introduced yourself as "Mia Tinkerbell". You have absolute courage and don't seem to get embarrassed by anything. This past Fall you participated in your very first church Primary Program. Midway through the program, you had a a little accident.. and you shouted from your seat in the pulpit to mommy that you had "dirty undies!!" When I didn't immediately respond you shouted it again. I ended up needing to run you home for a fresh change. (Luckily the building was close to our house.) I was somewhat mortified at the scene. But you weren't remotely phased. You certainly provide us all with nonstop entertainment, and its a guarantee that no one ever forgets who you are!!
The biggest love in your life right now is Frozen. You spent the better part of the last 6 months wearing your Elsa costume, and singing to anyone who would listen. We all love watching you sing "Let It Go", complete with hand motions. For your birthday party this year, we threw you a big Frozen party. Your Omi and I went all out turning her house into a winter wonderland, and we invited Elsa herself to come and surprise you. I've never seen you so happy and star struck. When Elsa had to go back to Arendelle, and all your friends went home, you were devastated. It was all way too magical for your 4 year old heart! We often joke that you are a very cute little sponge of pure emotion. Whatever you feel, whether its happy or sad, silly, excited, upset, anything --- you feel it 1000%. When you are tired, we have to constantly remind you to stop being "floppy". We worry that you'll hurt yourself bumping into something as you walk around like a little drunken sailor (very much like Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow),
You are starting to have an actual relationship with your baby brother Caleb. It's exciting to see that connection growing, and I'm sure it won't be long before you two are as close as you and Jake. But its not all fun and games. The other day you shoved Caleb with two hands, because you didn't want him messing with your toys. I scolded you and said you needed to apologize and look him in the eyes so he would know you were really sorry. You got upset and refused. When I asked why you said "I will say sorry, but I don't want to look in his eyes." Even when you are being stubborn, you have a gift for explaining exactly whats bothering you. (And eventually, you did come around and say sorry, and then admitted that it did make your heart feel better). :)
Your relationship with Jake is so special. As I mentioned in the beginning of your birthday letter, you very passionately told us that you didn't want to grow up, because then you wouldn't be able to play "mommies and babies" with Jake anymore. He's a great sport about playing along with the imaginative games you come up with. And you love playing cars with him, building legos together, and most of all coloring, cutting, gluing, pasting--CREATING. I can't believe how fast we fly through the art supplies. It makes me happy though!
You recently started taking a dance class. It's a combo of ballet, tap and jazz. We are so impressed with how quickly you seem to pick up choreography. You have a knack for remembering the names of the different ballet techniques, and even though you are the tiniest in your class you were the first to memorize all the ballet positions. We are so proud of you and your ability to focus and learn. You've always had your head in the clouds a bit. Plus you always demand to understand the reasoning behind my every request. ("because mom said so" doesn't fly with you). Because of these two things, I've been a little worried that you'll struggle with falling in line when its time to start school. But dance class is showing me that you are not only incredibly smart, but that you seem to truly enjoy making progress and being part of a group. I can't wait to see you blossom further!
As you've grown up a bit, Dad and I have realized the importance of building individual relationships with each of you kids. We try to make a point of taking you out on your own for "daddy daughter dates" and "girls nights". You really soak up the one on one time, and so do we! You especially love going out to eat somewhere fancy, and shopping for "sparkly" clothes for yourself, and having me braid your hair. (girly girl to the core). Conversations with you are always so funny. Now that you and Jake have your own separate bedrooms, you get your own bedtime routine. Your favorite song for me to sing to you before you sleep is "I Feel My Savior's Love". You have the whole thing memorized. The other night, I wasn't home and daddy had to put you to bed. He didn't know all the words, and later told me how touched he was, having you teach him the song, line by line in your tiny voice. Your spirit is strong. You radiate so much joy and excitement and love in everything you do--It's infectious.
It's been a few weeks since that grocery store meltdown over your worries about aging. You seem to be adjusting to this 4 years old thing after all. I guess I should be happy that you wanted to stay 3 forever. It shows how much you enjoy living in the moment. I could learn a few lessons from you about enjoying the journey, and loving the phase of life that I'm in. You have unique gifts of self expression.
Sometimes it doesn't seem possible to fit so many feelings into such a small person. But then again, it doesn't seem possible to fit all the love I have for you in my heart. It's overflowing with wonder and amazement at the little lady you've become. In part, I'd have to agree with you--I don't really want you to grow up either. I know that years from now I'll remember the way you look now each morning, curly hair all matted up and big, so skinny in your little jammies, ready to fill your day with as much silliness as possible. My heart will ache for this time. It will fly by way too fast. But it really is good for you to grow sweet Mia. The world needs people like you. You're a natural born leader, a great communicator, and you have such a big big heart. Ive said it before, I'll say it again: You're gonna do great things kiddo. I'm so excited that I get to watch it all. Love you Mia Girl! Happy Birthday to the most vibrant, sassy, joyful 4 year old Beauty I know.























1 comment:
crying again, as usual :). love that little Mia and your whole family! you guys are great parents--those kiddos are lucky to have you!
Post a Comment