Monday, June 3, 2013

Jake's 5th Birthday in California!!

About a month before Jake turned 5, Wesley and I decided that we should do a special vacation with the kids, something for just the 4 of us before baby brother arrives.  After some planning, a secret trip to San Diego, and then ultimately Disneyland was in the works!
The day after Jake's actual birthday (which was the day we were planning to drive out to California), we surprised the kids with the news.  We gave them each a present and told them that they contained a special clue about what we would be doing for Jake's birthday this year.  Jake got a Lightning McQueen  hat/shirt and Mia got Minnie Mouse ears/shirt.  I asked Jake if he could think of somewhere really cool that he would enjoy wearing that hat.  It took him about 2 seconds to respond with "The new McQueen park at Disneyland!!!!"  Then we told them we would be leaving later that day to spend the week in California.
Obviously they were thrilled beyond belief :)

We made arrangements for a hotel right by the parks to stay in for our 3 day tour of Disney, but first, we stopped in San Diego for a weekend visit with some of Wesley's family.  When we initially made plans for the trip, I'd been texting with Wes' cousin Angela to see whether we could stay with them.  Her kids and ours are great friends, so it was a great opportunity for everyone to spend some quality time!  After texting and planning over the next couple days, Angela sprung the idea of wanting to throw Jake a birthday party that weekend.  She was enthusiastic and generous in her offer to host/plan pretty much the whole thing, so that I wouldn't have to stress about it from out of town.  And this way we got to see a whole lot of Wesley's relatives all at once!

I came out with plates, a birthday banner, and party favors.. and Angela blew me away with her Pinterest Worthy preparation.  You just have to see for yourself. ;)
She set the bar pretty high huh?  I'll never top this one ;)
She ordered the cake and cake pops from her favorite bakery in San Diego.  It makes me wanna learn how to work with fondant--incredible!!!
Salad complete with "bad piggy snouts"
Goodies for all the little cousins!!! :)
We attempted to take a picture with all the cousins who were there that day.  Didn't really work, but the results were entertaining.
Mia's expression kills me--uhhh Mom, there's a baby crying next to me.. what do i do?
Getting ready to blow out his candles!
Big breath!
Love this one.  Jake loves that little Katelyn.
Jake was thrilled to eat his slingshot!!!
I love Mia's expression here. concentration/anticipation.
Jake and Mia cuddling up with their Great Grandmother.  She's such a sweet, quiet lady.
"Thanks for the cash!!!"
Big round of thank you's for all the awesome gifts!
Saying goodbye!! 
Playing with the party favors
Later that evening after everyone left the party, Angela busted out some arts and crafts for the kiddos.  Wesley helped Mia make herself a little bracelet.  I love his little daddy daughter moments like this.
The San Diego leg of the trip was too short, but wonderful as usual.  Just want to give a shout out to all the family who came and brought food, gifts, and great conversation.  And especially to Rick and Angela for hosting.  It was an extra special birthday--I don't think Jake will ever forget it, and I know I won't!!

Next post--On to Disneyland!!!!!!!

2 comments:

The Thelins said...

SO impressed with Wes' cousin's party skills! Very, very cute. And you can tell Jake loved it.

Unknown said...

I agree Angela did a fantastic job!!! Sawyer was looking at the pictures with me and he was like, how about we should make that cake for my next birthday?. Don't get your hopes up, buddy. :) Glad you guys got to see everyone and have such a good time!