Sunday, June 17, 2012

Jake's Birthday weekend

This post is about 6 weeks late in being written, but in my defense, we've had 2 flu bugs go through our family in that time frame.  But I couldn't skip this post because it's about a very special weekend.  Jake's Birthday!  A few weeks before Jake turned 4, my dad told us that he would be in town for a business trip, and had sprung for an extra ticket for my mom.  So just like that, we planned for an unexpected little visit :) Jake's cousin Sawyer also had a birthday that weekend, so it was double the fun too!  They came on Jake's actual birthday (a Thursday) and then stayed through Tuesday morning.  I pulled together a bunch of photos from the weekend to help illustrate some of the fun we had :) enjoy!

Jake opening some presents from mom & dad, and Omi & Opi. 




On Friday we went to the Zoo!  (Wesley had to work, so that was sad, but we had a great time)

sleepy girl. :)
she's such a little pip squeak.

Thank goodness for splash pads at the zoo!
My parents took the kids to pet the sting rays at the end--lucky boys!  (jess and I are usually too lazy & cheap to take them when we go on our own) 


On Saturday morning we had a double birthday party for the boys--at the train park! :)
Jake's cake!! (It was a joint effort creating it with my parents and Wes the night before.  lots of laughs that night)  He was so excited to see it!

I love my 4 year old!!!!!!!
Also love my 1 year old ;)
Jake ate SOO much cake.  Funfetti cake mix, vanilla buttercream, covered in oreos.. of course he loved it! (...and so did I)
 proud Grandma holding her big girls!

My mom was such a trooper.  The train has this little covered caboose with a door that closes.  I've never ridden inside there with Jake--preferring the open air seats (claustrophobia big time.)  But my momma climbed in and rode with her grandsons!


 Luckily Mia enjoys the cool breeze from riding up top :)
Saturday afternoon, we layed all the kids down at my house for naps, and then went out to the pool in the early evening to swim and grill dinner.  It was a relaxing end to the day!
Sunday was kind of a bust.  Jake woke up around 7 throwing up, and after a phone call, I found out that Jess and Sawyer had been doing much the same all night long.  After that, we all passed around that 24 hour flu like a wicked little hot potato.  Fortunately, no one got sick on Monday, and I didn't start feeling it til right before my parents left.  Blech--I hate the flu.

Once Jake started feeling better Sunday night, we decided to buzz his head.  I'd been meaning to do it for weeks, thinking he would love it in the 100+ heat.

Tried a mohawk first--why not?
p.s.  He hated his buzz cut.. I think I traumatized him.  He kept asking where the top of his hair went, and wouldn't look in the mirror.. also kept asking for hats.  Needless to say, we are growing it out again. ;)

Monday morning my dad had his meetings, so we took it easy and went to the pool.

These pictures crack me up.  Jake wanted to chill out in his rocket.
Good thing Arizona mommas always have sunglasses on their heads, can't tell you how often Jake steals them :)
cute girls!

That night Wesley grilled dinner out in the courtyard.  We took some nice pictures while we were out there.
Mia and Violet are starting to play together a little more which is fun!
I love these next ones--they just really show Mia's enthusiasm.  She kept throwing her arms in the air, and flopping down onto the ground)


I know--most of these are of Mia--but she was having a very cooperative picture night.  So many cute ones :)
She sure does love her Opi.
I am obsessed with her giant mouse teeth.
p.s. Sawyer ended up jumping/falling into the fountains by the end.  ;)
Last thing we did was a quick trip to the Quarter.


Thanks for making the trip out mom and dad.  I'm so grateful for all the effort you guys put in to seeing us and seeing the kids, even though we live so far apart.  love you!!!!

In case this ends up being my last post for awhile, just wanted to say that we are less than 5 days from the greatest vacation ever.
Week 1.  Driving to Utah and spend a week with Wesley's family!
Week 2. Fly to Virginia from Utah with the kids (and say goodbye to Wesley for a month.. thats the sucky part)
Week 3 and 4--Fly to Germany to visit my moms family!!! woohoo!!!!!!
Week 5 and part of 6.  Back to Virginia to recover from jet lag before we head back to Phoenix.

It's going to be a crazy summer!!!!

1 comment:

Sydney Marné said...

Why is Mia holding a toothbrush in that first picture with mom?? hahah.

So many cuteeee pictures!!! I have the most adorable nieces and nephews ever.

Also, Jake's birthday cake was seriously awesome. Nice work.

Can't wait for Germany YAY!!!! Good luck with the packing!!