After a 2 month hiatus from my blog, I'm back and ready to start playing catch up. 3 weeks into June, we packed up our car and drove up to Utah to visit Wesley's family. It was a particularly stressful packing experience for me, because I wasn't just planning ahead for a weeklong trip. Wesley drove back home after that week in Utah, but I took the kids for 5 weeks of additional vacationing!! I'll super-summarize, in list form, and then over the next couple months I'll be doing several posts including all the fun pictures and stories that go along with my summer.
So, here's the vacation timeline:
June 23-July 2: Drive to Utah, see Wesley's family, along with other great friends
July 2-9: Fly to Virginia with the kids, spend the week at my parents house
July 9-26: Fly to Germany with sisters, kids, and mom ... !!!!!!!!!!!!
July 25-August 4 : Spent the remainder of the trip at mom's house, recovering from all the flights/chaos/jet lag. We had way too much fun ;)
In 6 weeks, we took a 12 hour road trip, changed time zones 5 times, and flew on 4 planes. It was an amazing experience--some of the days were more fun than others, but it was mostly awesome, and I feel lucky to have been able to spend my summer this way.
Since I came home, the excitement has continued--Jake started preschool, Wesley is starting grad school next week, and Mia is now tall enough to open the doors in my house... at the moment, I can't decide which of the milestones is going to cause the most upheaval in my life! ;)
Expect lot's of pictures, lots of stories, lots of blog posts the next couple months--it's been a memorable summer, and I intend to record as much of it as I can make time for!
For today, I want to post up a few of the pictures from our week in Utah. I always love staying with the Hursts. I've found that there are a few things I can always count on when we are together. Lot's of quality time to build stuff out of legos, enjoy the sweet theater they have in the basement (along with a massive DVD collection), and of course, the fantastic food. (Having a chinese mother-in-law comes with perks) :)
Jake and Mia had a great time too, between playing in the G.I. Joe room, running around the backyard, and going on lots of nature walks. And of course, the legos. My father-in-law is a lego enthusiast, and has just about every set you could possibly want to build. (my favorites are the Harry Potter sets!!)
I know my father-in-law took lots of pictures too, but I don't have those. Here are a few that I did take, mostly just from my i-phone.
One morning we went to Kneaders for breakfast (Provo favorite!!!!), and then spent the day shopping at the mall. The kids were great sports, cooperating as we dragged them from one store to another. They got rewarded with a trip to Toys-R-Us afterwards. Thanks grandma and grandpa!
Grandpa has been working hard on his backyard, and it's really coming along! the kids loved being back there on the new grass :)
When it's finished this yard is going to be totally awesome. Mia was OBSESSED with the little bridges.

They loved this thing.
I love it when my kids get to spend time with cousins!

Wes and his momma :)
On Friday of that week, Wesley headed back to Arizona. Saturday morning, I was picked up by my friend Cheronne, so I could spend a couple days with her before flying to Virginia. Our kids all love each other so much, and it was really nice to see her, even though it was short!
Saturday night, I went to my good friend Sarah's wedding reception. I was so glad that we were able to coordinate and make it possible for me to attend. I was actually her maid of honor, and had to give a toast and everything. I was pretty nervous to do it, but the memory is a special one :)
Congratulations Sarah, love you!!!!!!
Sunday I was still at Cheronne's, and we spent the afternoon enjoying the breezy sunshine :)
Love this picture.
Roasting smores--yum!
Monday morning, I loaded up my bags, and went to the airport. The flight was fine, but I did learn a few things that day that proved to be consistent for the rest of my flights:
1. My kids SUCK at sleeping on planes.
2. I still get super nauseated when airplanes are landing. (I'm one of the lucky people who've had to use those little white bags on the plane in my time)
3. Flying with kids is one of my least favorite things to do.
But, it's all worth it when that plane takes me to people and places that I love. Check back soon for updates! :)








1 comment:
Kristie! Love the update, and I am excited to read more of them. I know that your trip must have been crazy, but look how much fun you guys had! Your kids are so lucky to get to spend so much time with family. I am impressed that instead of taking the easy way out, you guys think it is important for your kids to build relationships with their grandparents...even if they live 12 hours away by car, or 12 hours away by plane! What an awesome experience for your whole family to look back on. I have so many questions for you. I feel like it has been ages. Call me sometime. Love you!
P.S. Is that a permanent water slide feature I see in someones back yard? It pretty much looks awesome!!
Post a Comment