I haven’t blogged in a couple months, and thought I should probably catch up a bit tonight. We have been very lucky this spring—We’ve gone on two family vacations (one with each side of the family), at which times we’ve been able to do Disneyland, California Adventure, the beach, and Sea World. Lots of traveling, TONS of fun. In between trips, life has been pretty good. Despite the occasional sniffly nose, we’ve had some great little outings, experienced warm enough weather to start using our pool again, and are just keeping busy with the day-to-day chaos.
For this post, I’m going to limit my pictures and stories to our Schindler Family vacation. (I’m trying to narrow down picture choices, but I still have tons to post!)
Last summer Wesley found out that he wasn’t going to be getting any time off for Christmas. I was pretty bummed that we were missing out on flying to Virginia (everyone else went this year). I immediately began scheming, trying to plan a vacation that no one in the family would be able to turn down. Using my parent’s timeshare points, we reserved a couple rooms at a resort near Disneyland for the end of February. It ended up working out perfectly! Nate was even on a Dental School break! (and even more perfect—none of the public school Spring Breaks were happening for a couple more weeks, so the parks weren’t very crowded).
We spent a full week together in Southern California. 3 of those days we went to Disneyland and California Adventure (using our trusty Military Discount park hopper passes!).
IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST TRIPS EVER!!!! It’s been over a month since that week, and we are all still talking about it. The kids were delirious with joy each day, and there were enough adults watching them that I never really felt overloaded.
I wasn’t kidding, there are going to be a lot of pictures on this post. Here goes!!!
Day 1.
Mitch was the only one who wasn't able to make it for the whole week (although he did come for the last couple days)
On the last Saturday in February we all arrived in California. Before we even got to our hotel, we stopped for a little visit with an old family friend who lived in Corona. It was very conveniently right on our way! It was great to reminisce, and meet his awesome wife and twin daughters!
Sisters reunited!!!! :)
After that we ran to Costco to stock up on snacks and essentials. The resort suites had full kitchens, washer/dryers..the works. THANKS MOM AND DAD.
With luggage, snacks, and all the extras, we filled 3 of these between all the families. It was insane.
Day 2.
On Sunday we went to Cerritos, and actually attended our old ward (where my dad was raised, and where I lived from 9-12 years old). It was just 15 minutes from Anaheim, too close not to go!
After church we took the kids to our favorite (and totally awesome) old park. I went there all the time as a kid and it was really neat to see my own kiddos running around that place!
Heritage Park
Day 3.
First day at Disneyland!!! The weather forecast predicted a rainy day, but that didn't stop us from going! We got lucky for the first half of the day--just cloudy, no rain at all. And because of the forecast, there were hardly any lines- I think the longest we waited all day was like 5 minutes. We covered a lot of ground that day.
We took Jake to Disney with Wesley's family a year ago, and Jake still remembered a lot of the rides. He knew exactly which ones he wanted to do first!!
Small World. always a classic :)
Waiting in line for the Tea Cups!
My mom, Nate, and I took the little kids on a Cup, and rode it nice and mild (which was good for me, Mrs. Motion Sickness.)
Syd and Wesley got their own Cup.
They meant business.
Go big or go home right?
It got chillier as the day progressed. I'm glad I brought Mia extra changes of clothes into the park--by the end of the day she was wearing a lot of layers! :)
also, p.s. We borrowed this stroller from Wesley's cousin Angela...
It. Was. Awesome.
It. Was. Awesome.
I have major stroller envy. If you are shopping for a side by side--look no further, just get this one.
Baby Jogger City Mini Double. Seriously it made our week so much easier--thank you thank you Angela!
Fun Fun Fun!!!
Eventually it DID start raining, and we searched for indoor activities.
We had fun trying on everything at the Mad Hatters :)
Opi bought his grandsons Mickey hats with their names sewn on. (and quite a few more souvenirs along the way....SPOILED little boys) It made for cute pictures!
Waiting for Dumbo!
Jake talked for weeks about how he wanted to ride Dumbo with Omi when we went to Disneyland :)
Mia and I rode most of the rides together :) She really loved everything!
Around lunchtime it started to pour, and we spent awhile inside a restaurant.
Later in the afternoon, some of the smart people in our group thought it would be fun to ride Splash Mountain in the freezing rain.
So cold!!!
Last year, we waited for over an our to meet Mickey. This time we took advantage of the crappy weather day, and were able to walk right in and see him! Jake was thrilled to say hello, and walked calmly up to him (last year he ran and jumped, nearly knocking Mickey over with his hugs). He stood there and said, "Hi Mickey, this is my friend Sawyer." I guess he assumed that Mickey MUST have remembered him from last time they met. But this was Sawyers first time ;)
Riding the rockets with Syd. At one point, she asked him (teasing him) if he was "scared" to ride. he answered saying "No, I'm not scared, I know how to fly."
The day was awesome, cold and wet, but totally great. We walked back to the hotel, and went to bed, gathering our strength for another fun filled day...
Day 4.
When Toon Town opened the next morning, we were there waiting at the front of the line. Mickey and all his friends came to open the gates. Jake was so overwhelmed by all the VIP attention!
Mia thought they were pretty amazing too :)
The weather was much better that day, cool and sunny.
Jake wasn't too happy about being forced into a family picture. So much to enjoy, so little time! :)
Mia is a little social butterfly. It made me so happy watching her cuddle up with my Dad!
Waiting in a short line :)
Jungle Cruise!
Mia was totally fearless--Whether it was Pirates of the Carribean (A ride we didn't even attempt with the little boys), or being held by a giant Disney Character..she was good to go. She's my curious and happy little girl!
In the afternoon we finally headed over to California Adventure.
I wish we had taken a picture of it, but we bought one of those huge roasted Turkey legs on the pier...for Mia. She's a total carnivore.
Another one that Jake couldn't wait to ride was the giant Mickey Ferris Wheel. (Wesley is afraid of ferris wheels, but he conquered his fears to take his son on one with us.) ;)
This picture cracks me up.
Another highlight for Jake.
Day 5.
After two days in a row of theme parks, we were ready to take a breather. On Wednesday (Leap Day!) we visited Seal Beach, and walked down the pier to our old fam fav restaurant, "Ruby's".
The walk down the pier was windy and freezing, but the good food and great service at the end made it all worth it! (not to mention the killer view from our table)
That night we went to Downtown Disney and did a little shopping.
There was this store called "Ride Makers". It was basically a Build-a-bear workshop...but for cars! I don't know who enjoyed the experience more, the little boys or the big boys!
We left the store with 2 custom made remote control cars.
Day 6.
Day 6 was our mellow day. Jessica broke out in crazy hives all over her body and went to an urgent care that morning for treatment. So we just stayed at the hotel for most of the day, and waited for the arrival of Sydneys husband! (SO much sacrifice for him to come, thanks for making the effort Mitch!)
After Mitch arrived we all got ready and went out to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.
Jake was so worn out from all the fun (and no nap that day), that he crashed on my moms lap for the entire dinner...and didn't wake up til the next morning!
Day 7
We had our final day at the parks! We spent most of that day at California Adventure, but still started the morning at Disneyland. There something about Main Street in particular that I love. Disneyland really is such a magical place!
Mia wore her Cinderella dress that day. The weather was a little warmer :)
We loved Midway Mania. Awesome ride!!!
I love them. And I wish we didn't live so far apart :(
One thing I loved was that because of kidswap (and how outnumbered the kids were) we were able to ride all the adult rides too! I felt like i was 17 again!
This was the Tower of Terror..Nathan gave us all trail mix, and told us to put some on our knee and see it float during the free fall, haha. This picture says it all: Jess and Sydney didn't do it, Mitch lost his raisin, (and was searching for it), and Nate and I had success! it was pretty funny :)
Taking a little breather, and checking line wait times on my phone. :)
She was so dang cute in that dress.
Jake and Sawyer had such a blast together all week!
The Disney Junior show ended up being a huge hit with the kids...it focused on all their favorite tv shows.. They loved the Pixar stuff too, like Bugs Land and the Monsters Inc ride.
Coming to the end of our last day.
We ended our final day with World of Color. It was so amazing! the kids were mesmerized the whole time. :)
Day 8
On day 8 everyone went back home. We decided to stay an extra day so that we could drive down to San Diego and spend an evening with Wesley's cousins. (also to return that amazing double stroller). Before we headed to San Diego, we went back to Downtown Disney for a couple hours. We had such a fun fun week, and we were bummed that it was over..and just didn't want to leave yet :)
Thanks to my family for a really magical week. I'll never forget it, and I'm hoping we can do it again in a couple years!!!



























3 comments:
Yay!! I couldn't wait to read your blog this morning, Kristie! It was so much fun to relive the whole magical and unforgettable week! Thanks for putting all those fun highlights and pictures together. And especially thank you for being the initiator of the whole experience!! We DO have to do this again!!
I agree with Mom! It was so fun looking through pictures again and reading about it! Even though we all have the same pics we had so many that our blogs had a good variety and weren't exactly the same, haha. So glad we went...we do have to do it again!
I love family vacations and this post makes me want to plan a family vaca soon! Love all the pictures. I especially love that you bought Mia a Cindrella dress! So stinkin cute! Love your whole family to pieces, and am so glad you had so much fun!
Post a Comment