Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall-time Updates!

Since I came home from Utah, we've been so busy!!! Wes and I have been blessed with lot's of new hair clients for me, and lots of overtime hours for him. It's been super busy but rewarding, and in between all the work, we've managed to squeeze in some fun family time. The weather has still been way too hot for my liking (I'm craving my skinny jeans and scarves right about now) but we've been enjoying the fall anyway.

Last weekend we went to a work picnic for Wesley's office. Although it was a whopping 95 degrees, we had a lot of fun! They had 2 bounce houses, a rock wall, pony rides, face painting, petting zoo...the works.
Mia was excited about all the yummy foods we got to eat. all she seems to think about is food. I think we have that in common ;)
Wesley convinced me to climb the rock wall with him.
I'd never done this before, it was really fun!
They had cute little baby piggies!
The snow cones were a life saver :)

Some updates on the kids:

JAKE:
We decided not to send Jake to preschool this year (being so new to Arizona, and not really researching programs) and so I've been putting effort into having more structure in his life. Mia still takes 2 naps a day, so on our days in, I always try to do something fun with Jake during "first nap", whether it be baking, painting, play dough, or the occasional giant fort. We also got annual passes to the zoo, and have already gone twice! I'm glad my sister lives here and that our boys get along so well, it's fun to have them for outings and playdates.
Jake is doing so well with potty training. We stopped using pull-ups at night time shortly after we came back from Utah. So far he's only had a couple accidents while sleeping--we feel very lucky that he's been able to gain control so quickly. He had a big growth spurt in the last couple months, and finally went up a shoe and pants size--I'm excited for him that he's getting taller! His vocabulary is incredible, and he now loves to lounge in his room with my phone, engaging in full and detailed conversations with his aunts and grandmas, and occasionally.. with Sawyer :)
Painting in his new art smock from Omi!

Our first time at the Phoeniz Zoo. Jake and Sawyer had a blast together. It was an amazing 75 degree day, and we enjoyed every minute :)
woohoo!
Jake was a little star struck when he saw the "Rio" birds.."It's "BLUE" mom!!!!!!!!!"
We went to the zoo a week later with Daddy, but I'll save those pictures for the next post :)

MIA
Oh Mia. what can I say--she is going to be my wild child. 2nd percentile for size, allergic to milk and egg whites, and mildly anemic (according to blood tests at her 9 month well check.)
I thought maybe her tiny size would keep her from getting into as much trouble, slow her down in some ways..but no. Mia is a 15 pound force of nature. I'm learning that she can't be left alone even for a minute. We have a gas fireplace in our apartment that has actual doors that open into it. We normally block off the doors with Jake's play table. The other day, we had moved his table into the kitchen for play dough time, and Mia was able to access those magical fireplace doors. She opened the doors and climbed inside, at which point she loaded up her hands and then cheeks with fireplace gravel. It was scary and disgusting.
Today I left her for 30 seconds and she got into the bathroom. When I found her she had climbed up Jake's step stool and was hanging halfway into the toilet, stirring the potty water with her brand new pink shoe. The kid must have a guardian angel, because we were about 10 seconds shy of a very dangerous swirly situation.
Although Mia leaves a path of destruction wherever she goes, she still remains a very happy little girl. She still loves food (eats nonstop) loves to laugh (especially at her brother), is determined to start walking (occasionally takes a step or two on her own, first one taken right before she turned 10 months). You can always count on a big cheesy 2-tooth grin, which she loves to use on strangers when we are out shopping. Such a little flirt, and truly a ball of sunshine.
Playing in the fort we built during General Conference :)

The kids definitely keep me busy and moving, and I thank Heavenly Father every day that I have such fun little people to raise. The weather has finally dropped down into the 80's this past week, and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get into the holiday spirit in the upcoming weeks. Lot's of fun things to look forward to, lot's of life to live! keep reading for updates :)

2 comments:

Sabine Schindler said...

I'm glad you take so much time to make great memories with your family! The work party looked like a ton of fun. I wish I could still climb that rock wall. I probably would hurt myself now. Sad!!!
I'm sure it's getting more and more fun for the kids as Mia gets older and can really play with her older brother. I like those pictures with them together!! And Mia, what can I say... she's all her Mom!! haha!

Unknown said...

Love this post! Even though I live here and see your kids often, I love reading about how they are doing! You are such a great mom and I'm so glad to have this year together. Also, I feel bad for you that you got a 'Sawyer personality' this time around (aka wild child)...I wish I could say it gets better but I haven't really discovered that yet ;)! But you gotta love their energy and zest for life...as long as you make time for it, right? Love you guys and p.s. I don't see any more 90 degree days in the 10 day forecast! Wahoo!