Tuesday, February 22, 2011

sick, sick, sick.


I've been meaning to sit down and write a post for a few days, but I've been lacking positive energy this week, and didn't want to share my thoughts til I felt a little bit healthier--both mentally and physically. Last monday, (Valentine's Day), I woke up feeling completely ordinary. I noticed that Jake had a runny nose, but that happens a lot in the winter time anyway, so I wasn't really concerned. But by the afternoon I had a tickle in my throat, and Jake's snot nose was becoming a waterfall. Wesley came home complaining of a headache. I realized we were all probably getting sick, so we headed to bed early. By the middle of the night we all woke up with raging fevers, coughing and sweating.

The only one who didn't wake up all night was Mia who decided to do 7 hours straight. The next day, as Jake, Wes and I laid around feeling completely wiped out, Mia slept alll day. Every 3 hours I had to wake her up, and struggled to keep her up long enough to eat--around 4 pm I started to feel worried because she was so lethargic, and I could tell she wasn't taking in full feeds anymore. Then she started coughing. At this point I finally called her doctor, who had us come in right away. It turns out she had a fever (100.4), which I hadn't even noticed because she didn't seem warm in comparison with Jake (who was between 102 and 103 all day).

After a brief examination the Doc decided that we needed to head over to the hospital to run some tests. We got there around 7 pm, and were told that if her labs came back clean we could go home in a couple hours. One of her blood tests came back with a slightly abnormal result, so they admitted my sweet girl into the pediatric wing, and started her on IV fluids and did a round of IV antibiotics. We were told that we would most likely be going home in the morning.
We ended up spending 2 nights in the hospital while they ran different labs and did another round of antibiotics. In the end it turned out to be just a regular flu and cold (thank goodness), and so once Mia was hydrated, eating, and making enough wet diapers, they let us go home.

Now that I've had a few days to get some distance from the experience, I'm able to appreciate how blessed we were. Mia didn't have RSV, and really was a little angel in the hospital--all she did was sleep, and since they were keeping her hydrated through her IV, I didn't feel so anxious as I tried to get her to wake up for feeds. It broke my heart that I couldn't be at home with Jake during that time--he had a fever for 5 days straight, and I've never seen him so miserable. But luckily Wesley's boss let him work from home for a couple days. Also, the hospital is literally 2 miles from our apartment, so I was able to drive back and forth a few times to help with Jake. Mia's room was right outside of the nurses station, so I felt okay leaving her alone for an hour here and there.

It was definitely sooo overwhelming being that sick while worrying about my kids. I can't remember the last time I got a flu like that. It makes me grateful that we are normally pretty healthy, and I'm just really happy to be home again. I'm thankful for our awesome pediatrician. I know that he makes rational and educated decisions when it comes to my children, and having a Doc like that is a real comfort. The day after we were released (Friday) , I took both kids back in for checkups. Mia had her 2 month well check that morning, and Jake's fever still hadn't subsided. (Wes took him in on Wednesday, but was sent back home without meds since the infection appeared to be viral). Turns out in those couple of days Jake had developed a severe ear infection, so we were given antibiotics for him as well. Within 12 hours the fever finally left!
It's funny how perspectives change when your kid is sick. The only things we could get Jake to eat for 6 days straight were oreos & milk, and salt & vinegar chips. Who cares?? food is food.
Our little family took the entire 3 day holiday weekend to recuperate. It's been a long time since I've really felt overwhelmed with a trial. When I realized that we would be spending more than a few hours at the hospital, I felt such a heavy weight on my shoulders. I didn't feel like myself at all. I haven't prayed so hard in a long time--for my children especially, but also to feel uplifted. Wesley and I had some great talks throughout the experience, and I feel like we were blessed with peace and added strength. There was a baby 2 doors down at the hospital who had the same symptoms as Mia--except we got to go home after 2 days, and that little baby was sent to ICU. I really feel like our little trial could have been a lot worse, and I'm grateful that we came out of it so quickly.

Today was the first day where I felt more normal, so I just wanted to write about our experience. Because now that it's over, I'm already starting to forget how it felt. But it was hard for me. It may have only been a few days, but it was scary and stressful, but also uplifting and wonderful to pull together as a family. I'm praying that we don't get that sick again this winter, especially while Mia is so small and fragile.

She slept or nursed about 95% of the time for 3 days straight--but when she was awake she still managed a few smiles for mama. :)


p.s. Since we did do her well-check on friday I should probably post her stats.

Weight: 9 pounds 3 ounces -- 10th percentile
Height: 21.25 inches --10th percentile
She was 3rd percentile at birth, so this is a pretty good improvement :)

6 comments:

Jerai Moulton said...

I'm so glad that you posted about this experience. It sounds like it was very scary and difficult. It's always very hard to be a mom who is sick and have to take care of a family who is also sick. It's a great example of selflessness. I'm so glad that you grew from the experience and acknowledged that! Trials are hard, but in the end, if we can turn to the Lord and rely on His strength we will come out of the situation better people and full of more love and more appreciation for the gospel. You guys are wonderful examples! I hope you get a break and things are low key for awhile! Love you all!

Meghan and Tyler said...

Oh Kristie, I am so sorry. What an emotional roller coaster. I am glad that everything is on the up and up. You and Wes are strong. I am glad that Mia didn't have RSV, but how scary to have to take her to the hospital. She is so adorable though. I.V and all. Hope you guys continue to feel better. We love you!

Sabine Schindler said...

Jerai said it very well! Experiences like that make us so much stronger and bring us closer together. They do make us appreciate our healthy lives, our blessings and especially the Lord's hand in everything.
I'm glad you posted your feelings about this trial so you'll never forget. I guess that's why we're supposed to keep a journal.
Blogs are an even better way with the added pictures!
Kristie, I'm soooo glad you guys are feeling better and that Mia was able to shake off the sickness and our little Jakey as well! So sad, when the kids are sick and worse when the parents are sick as well!
I wish I could have helped you on the spot!
Love you so much!!

The Thelins said...

Oh my goodness Kristie, I had no idea any of this was going on! I'm so sorry that you guys went through so much of the tough stuff. There are few things worse than having a sick baby, and one of those things is when you're sick yourself and you have a sick baby. So I can't imagine 2 sick babies, with 2 sick parents! And having to be in the hospital with a newborn, good grief. Well, I'm so happy it's all over and everyone is well and happy! I bet that felt like a marathon week! I have to say though, Mia is the cutest little thing I've ever seen in a hospital gown!

Dennis said...

How much little Mia has changed already! I am thankful for good doctors, faith and prayer...glad it is behind you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they are uplifting to read! I love you!

Dennis said...

I am sure you figured out that it was me that posted and not Dennis, although, he loves you too! :)m