Thursday, December 23, 2010

Emilia Belle

It's been a week since we had our little girl, and I thought I would sit down and write about her special day, while it's still fresh in my mind.

I felt pretty prepared, or as ready as you can feel before a life-changing event. I was caught up on laundry, the house was clean, bags packed, even all the Christmas baking was done! About a week before my induction date I caught a cold, which I in turn passed onto my son and husband. By baby day I was pretty much over it, but Wesley was still sick, and Jake wasn't 100%. Not the ideal conditions for bringing home a newborn, but I felt grateful that I had already beaten the illness, so our baby would be born packed full of antibodies. Sydney slept over on the night before the induction, because Wesley and I had to be to the hospital by 5 AM, and she was watching Jake. Wesley's parents drove up to relieve her in the morning so that she could join us at the hospital and be there for the birth!

I think I went to the hospital running on about 3 hours of sleep in the previous 48 hours. Between being kicked by a giant baby, and my nerves running full speed in anticipation, it wasn't much of a surprise. So when they hooked me up to my IV, and put in my epidural--ohhh it was heavenly! I spent my relatively short labor just dozing and relaxing. (Mostly I just felt bad for Wesley, who was sitting in a chair feeling sick, and trying to be so tough!) I got my epidural around 7, my water broke around 9:30, and somewhere between 11 and 12, I was complete!!!

In the 20 minutes preceding delivery, I actually got super panicky. I knew that my Doc was in the next room delivering another baby, and that as soon as he was done, it would be my turn to push!! When I heard that neighbor baby start crying, my nerves went into overdrive. I started thinking a million things at once--What if my baby isn't healthy?? What is she gonna look like? do I really want 2 KIDS???? and also, how hard will this delivery be?? how long will it take to get her out?

Ridiculous I know, but I definitely suffered from a small bout of cold feet. I didn't have too long to worry though , because before I knew it, the Doc and his crew were rolling into my room to set up. As they were getting ready, my nurse started coaching me to begin pushing through a contraction--the Doc looked down and said "No, no pushing! Don't even laugh". Apparently my body was doing its job well, because our little baby was already on her way out! It was 12:27 pm, and two coughs later (seriously, a cough..thats what the Doc told me to do instead of pushing) Emilia Belle Hurst was here!!!

Once Sydney, Wesley and I got over the initial shock of such an abrupt and quick delivery, we watched as they took her away to be rubbed down and suctioned and weighed. I remember hearing someone say "Whoa, she's a small one!" I was surprised to hear this, since I had been gearing up for another 8 to 9 pounder like Jake. When they announced her weight, my jaw dropped--6 pounds!!! and only 18.5 inches! If I'm remembering it right, I think that the first things I said were "is she ok?" and then "holy cow what a little shrimp!" Probably not the nicest description of my newest child, but I was in shock at how small she was.

She cried out maybe 5 or 6 times, and then was very quiet. When they gave her to me for the first time, I felt so peaceful, and overwhelmed with gratitude that this darling little bundle was mine to keep! There is no feeling that quite compares to holding something so pure and fresh from Heaven. All my anxiety seemed to melt away, and was replaced with a great sense of rightness--this sweet little spirit was now a part of our family.

I was able to spend the next couple hours getting to know our little Emilia. When I had my epidural and IV taken out we called Wesleys parents to let them know we were ready to introduce Jake to his little sister. I had been nervously anticipating this moment pretty much ever since we got our positive pregnancy result. When Jake climbed up on the bed and leaned over the bassinet, he was so excited to meet his "baby sister Mia!!!" (We nicknamed her Mia a long time ago-Wesley actually prefers the name, and Jake can actually say it, so the name is probably here to stay. But I still wanted to give her the beautiful full name that I'd been dreaming about.) Jake sat in my lap, and I helped him hold his little sister for the first time. He must have sensed how delicate she was, because he was so gentle, speaking softly and patting her. I felt so overwhelmed in that moment. Even now, a week later, remembering how it felt to sit on that bed with my husband and two sweet kids makes me cry. I don't think a lot of things could top that feeling.

I spent a couple days in the hospital, and came home on Wesley and my 5 year anniversary! Being home with my family for the first time was such an awesome way to celebrate! My recovery has been so fast with this second baby, and so far she has been really good, sleeping lots, not fussing too much. I just felt bad for Wes and Jake, who were still pretty sick--probably Mia and I were actually feeling better than they were. It was a huge blessing that everything went so smoothly for me. In a couple days my mom is flying out here for 2 weeks, and my dad will be joining us for the second half of the trip. I'm so excited to have them here!

It's definitely going to be a big adjustment having 2 kids at home, but I'm so excited for the challenge. I remember worrying in the weeks before Mia came, about how I would be able to love anyone as much as I love Jake. But I feel sort of like the Grinch--On December 15th, my heart grew three sizes. And it's growing more and more everyday. I love my family so much, and I'm so grateful that my baby girl got here safe and sound. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and I don't think there is anything I want Santa to bring me--and it feels wonderful.

























7 comments:

Tara Crowton said...

Wow I can only hope to have half as smooth of a delivery as you! I'm so happy for you and your family! She is so adorable! I hope our little girls will be friends. :) Love you and congratulations!

ERIK & CASSIE said...

That was so beautifully worded!! I loved reading your post, brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations Kristie!!

Unknown said...

So touching and beautifully written, as usual, Kristie :). I'm so glad everything went so smoothly for you and little Mia is so adorable! I love you guys and hope you have a Merry Christmas with your little family!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Wes, Kristie, Jake and Mia! What a wonderful Christmas you will always remember. You guys are wonderful and I love you!

Sabine Schindler said...

I'm so happy to be here to witness this wonderful miracle!! Reading your post makes me cry all over again though! I'm having so much fun holding little Mia and playing with my grown up Jakey!
So grateful for your outlook on motherhood and life and for your sweet family! I'm so enjoying this time with you!

Meghan and Tyler said...

Kristie, she is beautiful!!! I checked your blog before we left, but you hadn't posted yet (not that you had a ton of free time :)) I was excited to see pictures of Mia, and hear your labor story. I am so glad that it went so smoothly. I love that you coughed twice. That must have been nice. I can't believe how tiny she is either. I want to see her in person. I'll be calling you. Congratulations again. We are excited for you and Wes, and are glad to hear that Jake is coping well with big brotherhood. He is such a sweetie. You guys are amazing parents.

Tell your family hello from us, and give them all hugs. Enjoy your time with them.

Love you guys!!

The Thelins said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a doll that sweet little Mia is! I'm so jealous of your delivery. One of my biggest worries is that my #2 delivery won't be as easy and smooth as my first. It makes me so nervous because the first time was pretty wonderful. I feel a lot better after hearing your story. Did Judd deliver her? Gosh I loved him. And can you and your sisters be there for whenever I have a 2nd baby? You can do my hair (yours looked perfect), Jess can deliver it (since she's basically the best delivery nurse ever, and Syd can take pictures. Seriously you have the best delivery room pictures ever! Okay longest comment ever. Congrats!