Last weekend we celebrated Jake's 2nd birthday! I feel like the typical Kristie response to this big milestone in his life should be "I CAN"T believe my baby is 2!!!!". But that wouldn't be true. Jacob is very much 2, and has been for some time--Because I have been seeing a full blown personality complete with mischief, tenderness, tantrums, and all those things that come with being 2 for awhile. Really, I think the actual date was more of a technicality--making his leap into boyhood official.
Jake's birthday fell on a Monday this year and Wesley was able to take the day off so we could spend it as a family! We really began the festivities on Saturday, unveiling some of Jake's grander presents on that day. (we thought it would be more fun to watch him enjoy his spoils one at a time over the weekend, rather than rushing through them all at once on Monday) Thanks to generous grandparents on both sides, Jake got his very own slide and tricycle! We had fun watching him go up and down the slide (or SIIIIIIIDE!!!!! in jake's words) and we have been working with him, showing him how to peddle his bike. Sydney had already vacated her apartment, getting ready to move back to VA for a couple months before her wedding. So she and Mitch were there for most of the weekend as well. Jake basked in the glory of so much attention from his loving parents and aunt & uncle. Really, I think just having us all watch him slide again and again was his favorite present of all.

eating cereal with uncle mitch--one of his top heroes right now :)

On monday, we decided to forgo a traditional birthday party, and we went to the zoo! The weather was perfect, and we had an amazing day. You will have to take my word for it on just how fun it was, because airhead that I am--I FORGOT MY CAMERA!!!!! I was frustrated about that at first, but the day was soo much fun. Jake of course loved all the birds (signing BIRD! at every single one--including the pigeons..) He also loved the monkeys. We went by one outdoor exhibit and a monkey was swinging back and forth on a couple vines, really going to town--Jake was so amazed and impressed, he kept shouting "whoa!!! whoaaaaa!! whoaaaa!!!!!!, clapping and cheering him on. Towards the end of the zoo visit, we went for a ride on the little train. If there is anything Jake loves almost as much as cars, its trains--so this was a real hit. He kept saying Choo chooo!!!!!! the whole time.
Jake has been more of a soft and quiet kid (when he isn't crying) as a toddler. He has always been really good at quiet independent play, and will often just lay on the floor lining up and reorganizing his cars. But he really loves to learn and explore new things, and the zoo was the perfect outlet for his imagination! It brings us so much joy to watch him soak up the world and express himself so enthusiastically with his voice :)
After a few hours at the zoo we headed home (and Jake slept the whole ride home in place of his normal nap--seriously, the day couldn't have gone more smoothly!) When we got home, we invited over Melanie and her two boys to help us sing to Jake and cut his cake. Even though I didn't plan a big party, I still wanted Jake to have his own special cake. I frosted one with a car on it, and he loved it! (of course). When he realized that I had scribbled a car into the frosting, he kept pointing at it saying "caaarrrr" in his cute scratchy voice.

I've been thinking about writing this post for the last week, and being a milestone post, I knew I wanted to take a minute to write about how lucky I feel to be Jacob's mom. I feel like Jake marches to the tune of a different drummer sometimes. He loves to discover independently (cars, cars, and more cars), will tell you exactly what he thinks (are you ready to get out of the tub? -- "NO, CAN'T), and is a very particular eater. I can't exactly call it picky, because he doesn't even care about most of the normal easy kid foods.. if its a choice between chicken nuggets or rice with spicy salsa, the rice wins. potato chips vs. jalepeno chips? it will always be the latter. He's a sucker for spicy foods and unique flavors. This can sometimes be challenging, always trying to find something he'll enjoy more than once. Lately he has been on a cereal kick, which is great (and more normal) Except he calls is "sawyer"....The only difference between cereal and his cousin, is he will use the sign for "cereal" while saying "sawyer"...shortly after followed by the sign for "milk". He is trying so hard to make his words come out correctly, and we have a pretty good time watching him try!
Jake isn't one of those kids who will give hugs and kisses on command. (NO! CAN'T!) But I know he feels our love, and we certainly feel his. He is so playful, loves to play hide and seek, throw a ball, and dance. Every once in awhile, we are rewarded with one of those glorious moments, when Jake will simply walk right up, lips puckered and give us a kiss. Or run over and say "hug?!" and then every so often, he'll snuggle up to me in front of a great movie (anything pixar) and just lay still. Those are the moments that inevitably bring out the waterworks on my part, and remind me how lucky I am to be able to raise such a cool little boy.
I know the cliche name for the year I am approaching is the "terrible twos". Here's what I think. The tantrum with the kicking and screaming on the dirty floor at Walmart? We've done one of those. the power struggles? I see them starting--and I know they are gonna get worse, a lot worse. But I'm mostly excited!!! Because we all know life comes with opposites. as much stress as I will inevitably feel from time to time--that's how much joy I'll feel the rest of the time. It's easier to see that when I'm not in the middle of dealing with a child who's temporarily morphed into Mr. Hyde. So I may not be able to always be as positive as I sound right now ;). But that's what parenting is all about right? As far as I know, you take all the bad with the good, and count every moment of stillness, every hug and kiss, and every power struggle conquered as a blessed time. That's the plan anyway. I'm just so grateful to be a mom.
As usual, thanks for reading. Syd took a small round of family pictures for us before she left for Virginia. Here are a few favorites!






5 comments:
Man you just turned on my waterworks! You're such a great writer, Kristie. And the best part is that you're so honest in what you write. I'm so glad to see you loving motherhood so much. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I couldn't agree more with your philosophy. Happy Birthday to Jakey! He's such a big boy. And a cute one, too. And we're happy that he's not forgetting about Sawyer (regardless of whether he thinks he's milk and cereal or actually Sawyer...I figure they are both good things and easily confused :) ).
p.s.--Love the family pictures! And LOVE the picture of Jake and Mitch eating cereal...too cute. :)
Ah, I agree! Loved this post, and love the way you write. I started to tear up. You are lucky to have jake as a son. He is so kind, cute, loving, fun (and a lot of other adjectives). I am glad that you guys were able to enjoy the zoo on his birthday and that Wes was able to take the day off. That is so nice. Also...LOVED the family pictures. You guys are so good looking! Happy belated Birthday Jake.
Well, you definitely made me cry, Kristie. I couldn't ask for anything more as a Mom and Grandmother than to see my kids enjoy Motherhood so much. I love your writing style and your honesty. And I love my little Jakey so much!! What a wonderful little boy. I'm so glad to be his grandma!!
Happy Birthday, little Maennel!!
Such cute pictures, especially the new ones Syd took. Too bad we won't be seeing her until her wedding- she has a gift with the camera. I am so with you on the whole "2" thing. All around. And I can't believe they are 2. Crazy. Happy birthday to that cutie. Oh and so funny about the foods he likes, and Sawyer!
Post a Comment