As a mother, I am inclined (and allowed) to think that my kid is the cutest and cleverest of them all. I don't always think this, particularly when a tantrum ensues--but most of the time, yes, I definitely tell Jake about how he is the sweetest and smartest boy in the world.
My mom told me that as a child I was talking in sentences by the time I was 18 months old. I know, I know, every kid is different, and the girls are usually earlier talkers. (I also didn't take a step until I was 15 months.. you can't win 'em all.) But still, I would say that Jake is a little late on the communication side of things. We made feeble attempts to teach him sign language ("more" was the single glorious result), and we got to THREE!!! when counting (and only because it is SO FUN to shout). Words were coming here and there, but up until a few weeks ago, I had a difficult time even imagining that sentences were on the horizon. The main problem, I think, was Jake's complete and utter lack of interest in the "repeat after me" game. you know the one: "can you say mom?" ...... nothin.
I knew he wasn't stupid. He just didn't care.
About 6 weeks ago, a good friend of mine told me about this DVD series called "Baby Signing Time". Long story short, the friend told me that these videos were not only teaching her daughter to sign all sorts of words, but she was talking a lot more as well. So we decided to give it a shot. Jake watched maybe 20-30 minutes a day, and something amazing happened. ***communication!!!***
I know what you are probably thinking--videos are not a substitute for actual parent/child interaction. And I agree--They aren't a substitute, but for us they were a launching point. In the last few weeks we have turned a corner with Jake. He now thinks the "repeating" game is great fun, and is really letting me work with him and teach him. He can say and sign all sorts of new things, and is letting me know that he understands me.
Yesterday Jake had a very clever moment. It was about 4 in the afternoon, and the cabin fever was setting in. After staring out the window for awhile, Jake came over to grab my hand and tow me over to his lookout. He pointed to the window, knocked on it, and looked up expectantly: "Out?? PEEASe???"
I looked back at him and said "silly Jake, you can't go out right now, you don't have any pants on!! it's too cold!" I expected one of two reactions to this. either--
1. a blank stare and acceptance.. then off to play with toys.
2. a tantrum
But there turned out to be a secret option three!
Jake simply turned and ran to his room, grabbed a pair of pants from his closet and brought them to me. "Pants? Peeease? OUT!!"
So we went out.
And I took pictures.
Which turned out lovely in my opinion.




By the way..
Now when I ask Jake "can you say mom?"
I almost always get a "mon!" right back.
And yes, that's an "n" :)
5 comments:
oh man this made me tear up! I love jake so much and i'm so glad he is progressing so much!!! what a cutie!!! and you are such a good writer pooh. i love you! great post!
That's so exciting Kristie!! Boyd and I are getting the point where he knows what he wants, but can't exactly express it. It's beginning to get a bit frustrating. Which is why I'm so excited for you! And the pictures are great! In case I haven't told you before I LOVE the picture you're using as your header right now. Your family is beautiful and you look drop dead gorgeous!! Hopefully Boyd and I will be seeing you soon!
Hooray!!! That is SO great, Kristie! I am so glad that things are getting better for you in the communication department. I'm sure that's a huge relief. And I agree with Syd, you always amaze me with your writing skills. The pictures are adorable. I love Jakey! I can't wait to see you guys again!
oh what a smart boy that jake is! those photos are darling!
I love this post and how you're able to put thoughts into words.
Very touching! I know too well how it is when you're waiting for your child to do certain things. And it's hard not to compare them to other children the same age.
Jakey is sooo smart though. I knew it was only a matter of time that something would 'click' and he'll be repeating everything. Pretty soon he'll talk without interruption and ask 'why this' and 'why that' all the time.
Cute little Jake!! Can't wait to see him soon!!
Post a Comment