Wednesday, February 17, 2010

reunions

Things have been pretty busy around here lately, but I wanted to quickly put some pictures up on my blog to let you know about the fun things that have been happening! Here is a list of highlights, and then some lovely pictures to illustrate some of them. Enjoy!

1. Discovery Museum in SLC with Jake and some friends
2. Roommate-reunion girls weekend in SLC
3. Wesley's guys weekend in Phoenix
4. New nephew (and the momma popped 3 weeks early!!)
5. Wesley's mom--flew in from Thailand

A couple weeks into January we took Jake up to the Discovery Museum. We met up with our friends Meghan and Tyler and their adorable little girl Caitlin. The kids had a blast, and lets be honest--so did we!
Ladies first!!! Although Jake is supposed to be older and wiser, he was a little nervous about all the other kids at the start. So he let Caitlin play at the water feature first, and hung back with daddy for awhile :)


Jake loved playing in the henhouse!
and being on the news.
but his favorite was definitely the car. (no surprise there)

Last fall my friends and I decided to plan a reunion for sometime in January. In the last couple years, Jessica has had 2 kids, I have had 1, and Sarah has been away on a mission. So we decided that a little get together was just what we needed. It was SO NICE to take a few days and vacate our lives with some shopping, fun restaurants, and lots of girl time.

Thank you to the husbands for watching the kids so we could have that experience!







A couple weeks later Wesley went to Phoenix for about 4 days. Most of his old mission buddies live down there now, so when I saw a really good sale on Southwest, I encouraged him to plan his own little weekend away from the fam. I also encouraged him to take a camera and snap a few photos for my blog...no dice. So, know that he had a fabulous time, and came back alive :)

Wesley's sister Melanie was due to have her second baby boy on February 17th (hey, thats today!) Her mom was planning to fly out and help her for a few weeks, and had booked a flight from Bangkok for Feb 15. At around 3:30 in the morning on January 26th, we got a phone call from Mel saying that her water had broken. They live just up the street from us, so I ran up to the house and slept there with my nephew Scott, so mommy and daddy could head up to the hospital. Later that afternoon I took Scott to meet his healthy new brother. Mark Austin weighed 7 pounds even though he was 3 weeks early. It was such a blessing. (and holy cow, what if she had taken him full term??? he would've been enormous.) Both mom and baby did so well, and were able to go home after 2 days.

It was such a touching experience to see Scott meeting his new brother for the first time. At some point, if God sees fit, we will be able to see Jake do that with his own siblings. I have always been a bit apprehensive about that part of growing my family. I just love Jake so much and it's hard for me to imagine splitting my attention. But watching the Riggs family, I could see that the attention and love aren't split. Our capacity to love just grows. Even Scott, at 2 1/2 years old, seemed to understand how special his brother was, and really seems to love him.



A couple days ago, Wesley's mom flew out to help Melanie. We haven't seen her since Jake was about 8 weeks old, and it was a happy reunion. She will be here for about a month. Pictures to come!

7 comments:

The Thelins said...

Okay I am SO in love with Discovery Museum! I'm totally jealous that you guys got to go there! Also I think a roommate reunion trip sounds so fun, and I'm so glad you got to do it! No surprise that Wes didn't take any pictures for the blog. The boys just aren't sympathetic toward our need to blog everything that life brings. Lucky Melanie for going 3 weeks early- You Go Girl! Glad the baby is happy and healthy. I totally understand about not wanting to share your love and attention. I feel the exact same way. I know I would love my second child as much as Peyton, but I just don't want to give her up as the center of my world yet. I'm so happy with our relationship the way it is, and it would totally change if I had another child to worry about. Plus I firmly believe that the relationship you have with your first child is totally unique, and you will never have another one like it- it's just not possible when you have multiple little people running around! Alright so now you can tell what I've been going through lately. So fun that Wes' mom is staying for such a long time. What a treat! Hope you guys have a great month!

The Thelins said...

That comment turned out obscenely long. Sorry.

Meghan and Tyler said...

yay, I love updates!!! I have been wondering how you guys have been doing. I have to agree, the roommate trip sounds amazing. That would be a lot of fun to do sometime. Good thing you have Wes. Tell him I give him props for letting you go enjoy yourself. Enjoy your time with your mother-in-law. I am sure she is loving every moment of being with her grandkids. And anytime you want to go to the Discovery Museum again we would totally love to meet you there.

Rachel said...

Fun Kristie! I loved reading up on everything goin on! I love all those pictures from your weekend retreat, you're such a baaabe!

Christine said...

How neat that both you and Wes got to get out with friends for a while. It's sure nice to have a break from normal life for a little bit. It helps you to appreciate your family more too :)

Little Jake is so cute and is growing up so fast!

Unknown said...

So I read this the day you posted but haven't had a chance to comment until now! Great pictures! I'm so jealous that you got to meet up with the cute Stott family at the museum. Wish I could have been there, too! I love Jakey as a newscaster! And I'm so glad you had such a fun weekend with your room mates! You guys all look so cute. Congrats to Mel! Her new little baby is so cute! (no surprise there!)

Tracy and Odie said...

how fun! you look darling in those photos. as does your adorable son!