Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Forward


Spring is here! It's hard to believe that this is Jake's second spring.  We are coming up on his first birthday next month! Every day I am amazed by how old he looks, how far he has come, and how much he is learning.  He took his first steps a little over a month ago, and is already doing more walking than crawling.  He is just under 19 pounds but has a huge head. (20th percentile weight/90th percentile head size).  He is babbling non-stop and has recently started imitating sounds that i make, which leads me to believe that his first word is coming soon! When he is super-alert, he will even copy intonation, whispering when I whisper, shouting when I shout. It's so cute, and I love him more and more every day!  Also, he dances sometimes.  My current phone ringer is the theme song from "the office" and every time he hears it, he starts bobbing his head. 
What a happy kid!
I love watching him walk, it's so cute!
Jake is also becoming a lot more dramatic. The pre-tantrums have started...dun dun duuunnn!!! He will often scream and arch his back when we try to move him away from something dangerous (like electrical outlets) or take something away from him (like my cellphone).  Pretty much anything we do to "throw off his groove" gets a pretty big reaction.  Mostly I just think it's hilarious, and maybe sometimes kind of obnoxious.  

Classic tantrum face
In the last week, Jake has become fascinated with putting things into things, and taking them out as well.  He has a bowl in his ballpit that he will fill with balls and then dump over the side of the playpen.  When he gets bored of this, he puts the bowl on his head or just launches the balls out one at a time.  He empties all my bookshelves and any drawer or cabinet he can get his hands into.  Just this morning, Jake was in his high chair eating some blueberry puffs.  I was drinking a glass of OJ and he was eyeing it like he wanted to have a taste.  I brought the glass to his mouth so he could drink, and with a mischievous look in his eye, Jake quickly dumped a handfull of puffs directly into my juice.  

Its not all mischief though.  He is getting good at following simple directions, and when prompted, will often bring me whatever he is playing with. And most importantly, he will walk over and give us hugs when we hold our arms out.  After being stiff-armed for the last few months, this little milestone is definitely one that melts my heart every time he does it. 

(this picture is from Jessica's baby shower--It was so fun having her visit!)
It's so fun watching him discover his world more each day.  The weather this past week has been so perfect, and we have definitely been taking advantage of it.  (after all, in Utah, it can be 70 degrees one day, and then snow the next...)  The other day I laid out a big blanket full of toys on the driveway.  Jake was happily entertained for awhile, and then all of a sudden he took off crawling. He seemed to be a man on a mission, and I couldn't figure out what he was after at first.  He would crawl just a few steps, then pause and lean forward slamming his hands on the ground. He did this again and again, working his way across the concrete.  I realized what he was doing.  It was late afternoon and the sun was casting very large shadows.  Much like Peter Pan, Jake was trying to catch his shadow, but with each step, it got further away.  He never did catch it, poor guy. 
 
We are enjoying Jake more and more each day.  The relationship he has with his dad is so awesome to watch--it's obvious he has a hero.  Every afternoon his ears perk up when he hears the garage door opening.  It doesn't matter what else he's doing--he drops it and runs over to our gate, waiting expectantly.   As soon as he sees dad he starts waiving furiously, shouting random things to make sure he is noticed.  Pretty much, if Wes doesn't give him the attention he "requires"...he'll start crying, looking very betrayed.  The hugs and kisses between my husband and I have to include Jake or total panic ensues.  What can I say? He definitely has us wrapped around his finger! 

We love him and are so happy to have him in our family.  I can't help but feel so blessed these days.  Life isn't perfect, I mean, Jake and I are suffering from our second cold in a month, but seriously, I couldn't ask for a better family.  He and Wesley are so good to me, and I just feel so loved.  Thanks guys, for making my life so rich. :)

11 comments:

The Thelins said...

Great post! What a cutie that little boy of yours is! I can’t believe he’s almost a year old!! It is so funny that he’s becoming mischievous, though I am sorry about the pre-tantrums. I love that he was trying to catch his shadow. He’s such a little character. We love you guys and miss you lots!

Jer, Cheronne, Brayden, Abbey, Lincoln & Beckham said...

I am so excited for Jake's birthday! Congratulations Jake! I love that he is such a curious kid, it's so fun to watch him! I need you to tell me how you deal with tantrums so well, I get very frustrated! We need to get together when you guys are feeling better:)

Unknown said...

Leave it to you to make me cry. I'm so glad that you are so happy being a mommy and a wife, Kristie. You really do have a cute little family. I can't wait to have some of these fun experiences with my little guy. Good thing he'll have such a fun little cousin to look up to! I love you guys.

Rachel said...

:) that's so sweet!!
and hopefully Syd will let me tag along tonight to come visit!

Sabine Schindler said...

I loved reading your post, Kristie.
It makes me sooo happy to see you as a Mom and be grateful for your life.
It's really the best thing and it'll get better all the time!! I can't wait to see little Jake and run around with him.

Kathryn said...

I LOVED this post Kristie! My favorites were the one about the puffs and catching his shadow!!! Baghahahh made my day.

Tracy and Odie said...

What a darling family you have! I wish we got to see more of you all. Thanks for the cute post.

Laci Harper said...

Jake is getting so big and so cute! We really need to plan a play date some day soon. I hope your colds get better soon...that is the pits.

Ashley said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying motherhood. As far as being mischievous, he isn't...he is just a boy. I am sure you will have many more moments of cereal in your drinks. (and probably other things as well)

Jerai Moulton said...

I love the pictures! Jake's hair looks so cute done in the little mo-hawk (sp?)! You guys are great! Let's get together soon and watch Twilight!

Thelin Family said...

Jake is getting to such a fun stage! What a cute kid. Your family looks great. Appreciate the pre-tantrums for being just that "pre", just wait until he has a melt down in public and there is no stopping him... good times ahead :)