Monday, January 19, 2009
Celebration
Today is a great day. Since he was about 4 months old, Jake began a long and painful teething process. As of a few days ago, he has 6 whole teeth, four on top, two on the bottom. During this time, he woke up 2 to 3 times a night, and on the days leading to each tooth, we pretty much had all night parties together and sleepovers on the floor. Jake is so adorable and we love him very much, so this is in no way a complaint on my part--I know its all just a part of being parents. But anyways--I caved to a lot of the co-sleeping these last few months. However, a couple weeks ago I decided enough was enough, and we needed to get him sleeping a little longer at night, and the sleepovers needed to end. Wesley and I prayerfully began a sleep-training routine involving a lot of rocking and reassuring on our part, and some tears on Jake's part. The first few days it seemed like Jake would be both scarred for life and unable to get to sleep on his own. But we saw small improvements with each night that went by. I am happy to report that the last three nights Jake has gone to bed with little protest and slept a 7 hour stretch on his own!!! For Jake--a child who has done this maybe 4 times in his entire life--this is an epic step. Today I woke up with a great sense of well-being. I'm not sure if this progress is because of our rigorous sleep-training, or maybe Jake is just finally feeling relief from his mean little teeth. Probably a combination of the two. But in any case, I see two options. option A--hold off on my celebrations because who knows how long this will last. option B--go ahead and feel joy in our success. Maybe our luck will end and I will have to get up 5 times tonight. But for now, I am rested and happy. I might as well soak it in!... So I chose option B. Today is truly a great day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Yeah for sleep! I am so happy for you! I know those sleepless nights are very tough. I am impressed with your sleep training tactics. Way to go!
I'm so proud of you and Wes. It's unimaginably hard to sleep-train, not only for the baby, but for mom and dad's emotions, too. I'm so glad you're sticking to it. It only gets better from here. Hooray Jacob, for sleeping through the night! I'm so happy for you Kristie!! And hooray for a relief from teething!
I'm writing this comment at 3:15 am and hoping that you are still peacefully sleeping in your bed, and Jake in his! I'm so glad you had a few good nights, in any case! What a cutie! He totally looks like you in that picture...I love you guys and hope to see you in March!
Yay for sleep! I was crazy and co-slept the first year, but then said ENOUGH and cut Max off. There will be times when you'll have sleepovers nights but it sounds like you've done the hard part already!
Jake is adorable, I can attest to the fact that somehow, you will forget all the hassles and inconviences that come with parenting! Only the happy memories remain in bright focus! Your litte boy is adorable, I'm glad you got to spend Christmas in Virginia!
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. i love jake. SO MUCH. and i love you. i miss you. i need to come over stat!
I am so glad that thing are getting better for your family at night! Hooray! And it's funny because after I wrote my last blog entry, I read yours, which made me feel like I should be more grateful for my blessings. Thanks for helping me recognize the good things that I have!! I need to be more like you!!
man, he's just so smeeky.
Ah, such a great post! Jake is adorable! Way to go on the sleep training Kristie!! :D
oh hey....i miss you sister!
put the snow pics up.
ok bye.
Post a Comment