Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thank You!


Once again, I'm sitting here with a pile full of blogworthy stories and photos.  That's what happens when you wait a month to update right? Actually, the real reason is that I had the most wonderful Thanksgiving week!  I was showered each day with reminders of all the things I'm so thankful for--Jess and Nathan came up from Arizona, and Mom and Dad drove all the way from Virginia! So between those 4, Sydney, and then our usual party of 3--we had a full house for the whole week!  It went by way too quickly.  It was so nice to just hang out together, eating our weight in German chocolate and peanut M&M's.  Not only that, but Jake was surrounded by so many loving arms (sometimes a few to many--Jake gets a bit skiddish in large crowds), which was a great break for me--all in all just a wonderful vacation. I have tons of pictures I want to share, but I tried my hardest to narrow it down. Enjoy!

The night my parents arrived we went to Nathan's sisters wedding reception.  They had it in this greenhouse up in Sandy.  It was sooo beautiful! Jake cried for about the first 10 minutes there--too many people, too much noise.  He is a total lightweight--but with a little food in his belly and 20 minutes to adjust he did just fine!


Like I said before, Jacob is a total lightweight.  His main area of terror involves men.  With the exception of his dear old dad, he won't go near them.  I was a little worried about how he would do with his grandpa.  But my dad went nice and slow with him, no quick movements, and after about an hour Jake allowed himself to be picked up, and then discovered something wonderful about his Grandpa--Whiskers!!!  Jake loved tugging on his whiskers! This was the icebreaker, and it didn't take long for him to feel comfy and happy playing with grandpa. 

One afternoon we made a family outing that I had been looking forward to for months--yes, we went to see Twilight.  It was so fun! Us girls wore our Twilight gear, and I even dressed Jake in the twilight colors. (poor kid, if he had a say I'm sure he would've voted against that move--dressing up for a chick flick.  But hey, he's 7 months old, and most definitely has no say.)  I thought the movie was great, and you know the best part? My mother let me be selfish and enjoy the entire movie! She took care of Jake for the whole thing.  The whole week was truly a vacation for me.  Thanks mom!  (sidenote--what is it about grandmothers? my mom has an amazing way with Jake.  Even though he doesn't get to spend much time with her normally, I felt like he was just as happy and content with her as he is with me...and for my super-sensitive child, that's saying something!)
My mom and I always agree that Jake looks good enough to eat--after watching Twilight and becoming vampires, we decided to have a taste! :)

A lot of the week was spent around the house.  As for me, I did more relaxing than I've done since Jake was born.  It was so wonderful! Jake was passed around like a hot potato, and we used our famous Schindler teamwork to do just about everything.  (incase you were wondering, that basically means that my mom did about half the work, Jessica was right behind her, and sydney and I dragged our feet pitching in when necessary :)...it was great! thanks again mom!) It was lots of fun cooking thanksgiving dinner together too--the first time in years :)

Jake learned to crawl about a month ago, and has thrown himself into the business of standing and walking.  we have a lot of scary crash landings around here, but I'm learning that my son is a little tougher than I thought!


Wesley giving me love while I slave away at Thanksgiving dinner.
sydney--one serious turkey coma.

Nate and Jess showing off their baby bumps.  That's another thing--It was so fun to see Jessica with her cute lil belly.  And then we found out that Jake gets to have a little boy cousin to play with!!  Yet another thing to be grateful for this year :)

Jake enjoyed reading the Martha Stewart magazines with his Aunt Jessica--should I be worried? :)

This picture pretty much sums up Sydney's relationship with her brothers. 


On Black Friday, Jessica and Nathan were already gone, but the rest of us went to this opening celebration of the season in our little town of Salem.  It kind of reminded me of the festival on the movie Groundhog day.  There is this little pond in the middle of town, and they put a bunch of christmas trees on the water.  They lit it for the first time that night and along with our fellow citizens of Salem, we sang carols, drank hot cocoa, and even met Santa! Jake was a little unsure of the large bearded man, but was very excited about all the Christmas lights on the water.  It was such a fun and festive way to begin the season! 


Whew! another insanely long blog by Kristie.  Thanks for reading. I'll try to pace myself in the future and avoid these super long posts. Merry Christmas!

12 comments:

Molly said...

the long ones are so much fun to read, though! I'm glad you got to have your family there, it looks like it was tons of fun!

Unknown said...

Oh I loved reliving that week through your blog! Which reminds me...I still need to write one of my own...maybe I should cut and paste yours because that pretty much captured it all great! I miss everyone so much now. That's the bad part about getting together is you're reminded of how much you miss each other when it's over. Well...until the next reunion...which hopefully won't be too far in the future. And the great thing about that week was that even though you felt like it was a vacation for you...we all loved every minute of holding that cute little fart. Ok well I've already discussed this entire post with you in person but I just felt like I should leave a comment as well because, let's face it...that's what blogging is all about! Love you!

etta said...

i'm so glad you had so much family to spend the holiday with, its the best with family:)jake is getting so big!

Emile Gibson said...

I'm a huge supporter of long blog posts, personally, and they're always so much better when you include pictures! I loved reading this! It makes me impatient to see my family again at Christmas time. Family time is so much fun!

Meghan and Tyler said...

I love long blogs! and I love long blogs with pictures even more. It is so hard to put a week or two into a couple of sentences so thanks for the update. Your family sure is good lookin'. We really do need to get together. Sorry for being a slacker. Remember, I still need to schedule a hair appointment so that Kate will come early...my sister is counting on you to work you magic so that Kate will be born while she is visiting in Utah :)

The Thelins said...

Oh so much to comment on... Jacob is darling. He gets cuter every picture. Your Thanksgiving week sounds like so much fun. I'm sure it was so great having everyone together again. You and I have the same couch. Grandmas are heaven sent. Twlight was amazing and I'm so glad you dressed Jake for the occasion. We miss you guys. Cute Christmas card! And is Syd crazy? Team Jacob?

Doug & Robyn Ellis said...

Oh I wish we would have gotten to see all of you! Miss you guys. Glad you had a wonderful turkey day. That Syd is sure gorgeous! BUT so are you all.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ashton...Team Jacob:)
I also loved reading and looking at the pictures, I love all those people too! Family get togethers are the best....we need to plan a Schindler/Thelin get together some time in the not too distant future!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to stand up for the team jacob...sorry guys. I agree with Syd. :) Although I will say Edward grew on me in the last book. Anywho...had to throw in my two cents.

Kristie said...

yeah i agree.. i have always loved jacob. i love them both but--to me, tan and warm is sexy ;)

Andrea Forsyth said...

i love you guys.

Sydney Marné said...

first off. yeah i'm not gonna lie. i think i am crazy. and i seriously lol-ed when i saw the pic of me with turkey coma. i was OUT. talk about your all time face plant. hahah man i miss that week already. i'm gonna go post my own blog now. peaceout. ALSO....i am most definitley team jacob. (but not for bella) for me. she can have edward and give me the hot tan man.