Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Peanut


As I've said before,I started this blog simply as a fun way to keep a journal for my little boy.  So far, it's pretty much been just that.  But today I need to divert from my usual topic, and spend some time on my little girl.  My dog Peanut, died this past weekend on Saturday morning. For those of you who have never had a pet, I'm sorry for this post, because it may seem a bit silly. But the truth is, I'm heartbroken. Peanut has been my little girl since I was a little girl myself. 7 years old to be exact.  She came to our family when we lived in Moreno Valley, California, on Christmas Day.  She was a stray who needed a home, just until the pound opened back up after the holiday weekend.  But we quickly fell in love with her sweet little spirit.  I named her Peanut, because thats exactly what she looked like--small, brown, and a little lumpy. (I was seven, what else would you expect?).  She was my dear friend, and a beloved member of the Schindler family for 15 years.  She lived a long happy life, and for that reason, I'm able to feel some peace and acceptance over her passing.  When I visited Virginia in August, I could see how miserable and old she was getting, and began to wrap my head around the reality that she was probably leaving us very soon.  I'm happy that she isn't suffering anymore, I just miss her, you know?  When I go back home to visit, it just won't be the same without her cute little toenails tapping on the linoleum.  Who will chase the fedex trucks down the street, and secretly eat food under the coffee table?  She was such an odd little dog.  I love her so much!  well anyway, thanks for reading, i just felt like Peanut deserved a little bit of blogspace. 

8 comments:

Andrea Forsyth said...

i'm sorry kristie. i think i bawled for a good couple of weeks when my dog died. we had to decide to put her down, and oh man, i was not prepared for how hard it was. i still expect her to meet me at the door whenever i go home.

Meghan and Tyler said...

:( We had to put our childhood dog down just before I went to college...It is amazing what an impact family pets can have on your life. The other day, Ty and I went home, and I expected to be greeted by Sunny. Wierd since she hasn't been around for a while. I'm glad you dedicated some blog space to peanut, it is nice for each of us to remember childhood memories of the pets we love.

Anonymous said...

Kristie,
No surprise that peanut was a
"stray". Seems like at least your dad always had a spot in his heart for the "stray". That is how we got our "kitty Max" Ralph, brought home the sick stray kitten that needed a home and love. I am sorry for Peanut's passing, and I agree with you that every beloved pet deserves a memorial. I look at Dakota sometimes and realize that there won't be many years left for her. I keep hoping that she does well, because Mutti will miss her horribly. I am glad you were blessed with that little pup to give you love, and that you will always have sweet memories of her. I love you:)

Sydney Marné said...

i'm crying in the library right now. I feel like a fool. thanks a lot kristie. :(

Unknown said...

I love these pictures of you and Peanut. You always did have a special place in your heart for her. I'm so sad too...I'm glad I didn't have to be there. What a hard thing for mom and dad to have to go through. And I'm cracking up about Syd's comment. Although I'll admit I did shed a few tears myself when I read about Peanut's wonderful life.

The Thelins said...

Your post made me cry. I totally understand your feelings. I'm so sorry your first baby died. I would go into a depression if Tink died, and I'm actually not joking at all. I'm glad she had a long and happy life!

JOCELYN AND JEREMY said...

Hey Kristie, i am soo sorry about Peanut, I too was very sad when I read that post. She was a funny dog and I only knew her for a few years and I loved her too, Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Kristy you are too cute, I just love ya!!