August 10th-- Jake rolled over for the first time!!! back to front and then front to back.
August 12th--Jake's first plane ride--more on that later....
August 12 thru 26----Party time with Grandma and Grandpa!!!!!!!
and somewhere within this time period...First laugh, First game of peek-a-boo, First swim. He also figured out how to arch his back out of his carseat (dangit), how to firmly grasp toys (and hair), how to use a teething ring, o yeah, and p.s. he started teething.
All of this in a little over 2 weeks!!!! I cant believe my little baby is becoming a little boy!!!
For those of you who are in a hurry or simply don't want to read my ramblings, that was all the important stuff. For those who, like me, are total blogger junkies, here are the details...
Shortly before my trip to Virginia, Jake starting drooling about 5 times as much (it's insane how much spit that kid is producing) and began biting and sucking on just about anything he could get his hands on. Also, he started waking up about 3 times a night again in pain from his little swollen gums. Don't worry though--I wasn't sleeping through the night anyway. I was having travel anxiety in the worst way, so nervous about taking jake on a 5 hour flight without my hubby's help. Everyone reassured me that Jake's age was actually ideal for travel, and that I should just relax. Although they were all wrong, and Jake actually hated the whole experience, we did survive, and arrived in Virginia to greet his eager Omi and Opi, his crazy Aunt Syd, and his loony Uncle David.
That 2 weeks spent in VA were ones of major development for Jake. It was nice to be able to share so many firsts with my parents. On the second night, Opi was playing with Jake, tossing him up and teaching him how to jump up and down. Jake let out his first gleeful shrieks and giggles--It made my heart melt!!!! My parents had just returned from visiting our family in Germany a couple days before, and with them, they brought a bunch of presents for Jake--cute little wooden toys, which Jake LOVED, and lots of adorable clothes, which I LOVED.
After a few days of industriously playing with this little wooden rattle, Jake was able to do a 2 hand grasp while knawing and drooling all over the circular toy. This may not seem so great, but until this point, the only thing that seemed to ease Jake's teething discomfort was sticking his entire fist in his mouth. (I'm totally serious--its incredible). So we were very excited about his new motor skill.

Sometime during these fun filled days, Aunt Sydney developed a somewhat peculiar relationship with Jake. In all her crazy antics, she was able to bring out Jakes strongest emotions. They began playing the Peek-a-boo game together, which always ended in either loud laughter or panicked tears on Jakes part. It was so funny to watch. As a side note, can I just say, Syd is going to be an amazing mom. She has so much fun with jake, is so competent, and is a million times better with our handicapped brother David than I am. Hats off to her and her mommy skills and loony personality.
A week after we arrived in VA, Jessica and Nathan flew in from their 3 weeks in Europe (I know. jealous.) We got to spend a few days with them too, before they drove out to Utah, and on to Arizona for dental school. It was so fun hangin out with everyone. Such a bummer that Wes had to stay behind in Utah and work. (Thanks Wesley, for being such a hard worker, and letting me and Jake go on a vacation!!!)

check out that drool.
Another big first--and the credit for this one is due to Omi--Jake's first swim. Sometime earlier this summer, Grandma made a discovery--a little gem on the northern Virginia frontier. Lake Anna, just 30 minutes from home, has a beach front in our State Park. I was hesitant to go--worried about the hassle, the sand, and the ominous sunburn threat to my child. But Grandma, the ever positive lady, packed up the car with suncreen, toys, and chow, and made it happen. She even rigged up a little canopy for Jake out of a borrowed baby gym and an umbrella from Ikea. I proved to have been worried for nothing--The beach was clean, the water was lukewarm, and Jake had a blast! It was such a great day!
another side note--It was such a good experience for me watching my mom with Jake. She is such a kook--making up funny stories and singing german songs--it gave me so many new ideas for how to entertain him.


Before we new it, the 2 weeks had flown by, and I was packing for the flight home. I experienced such a strange mixture of emotions--While I was very excited to get back home and see Wes, it was heart breaking to take Jake away from his grandparents. It sucks when families are so spread out. I mean, My parents live all the way in Virginia, which is bad enough, but Wesley's parents are camped out all the way in Thailand!!! Maybe one day we will all live within a day's drive of each other. It's something to look forward to. Really I should be grateful--At least I have Sydney out here!!! Speaking of which, she flew back with me. This flight was a lot less stressful, and I was so happy to have another set of arms. Jake did somewhat better, but I've definitely decided flying is not his favorite game. But we survived once again, and we were so excited to be a whole family again! Jake couldn't have been more excited to see Wes! He's been bouncing on Wes's lap like a little Mexican jumping bean all week. It's easy to see that Jake has a hero--I love watching them together.
(Jake loves using Wes as a recliner.)
Well, that's pretty much everything! For those who stuck around for the whole thing, good job and thanks for your interest! I love my family, I love watching Jake grow up, and I will keep posting about all the things I consider great and important in my life!




7 comments:
Your child is soooooo cute! And it's even better in person- I'm glad we got to see you while you were on the same coast! And I love the picture of Jake and Wes- their expressions are priceless. And, the thought of moving away from my mom gives me anxiety- being able to hand Max off when we've gotten sick of each other has been such a help (not to mention the free babysitting). I hope someday you'll be close to family!
Great job summarizing two great and fun filled weeks. I'm so glad you're keeping a blog to capture all those precious memories. It does help us to feel a little closer.
I miss you guys a lot.
LOVE
Mom (aka Omi)
What a cutie Jake is! He is adorable. I am glad that you survived your airline trip. We need to get together sometime. The boys can play video games and we can go do girly stuff.
You are a great blogger and I appreciate seeing the pictures and reading to get a glimpse of the "life and times..."
What a cute baby you have! I'm glad that you got to make the trip back east and spend time with your family! I think it time for Jacob to start lobbying his Omi and Opi to move a little closer to the right coast:) I love you, Marianne:)
He's gettin so big! All of your adventures make me so excited to have my own with our own little guy!! Did I ever mention how cute he is!?!?!?
Oh my goodness is he cute! I can't believe how much he's changed. I miss your parents. They are so awesome! Oh...by the way....my hair is in need of a fix anytime you are game!
I'm glad you updated too (everyone's doing it)! Your trip looks like so much fun. I hate that my mom's so far away too, but at least P has one set of grandparents close by (and both in the same country). And I'm glad your sister is back in UT, too. That's got to be a relief (even though it's down to 2 Schindler girls). I can't believe how big Jake is getting, and how cute he is. Congrats Jakey on the roll-over. That's quite the accomplishment. We miss you guys already.
Post a Comment