Monday, September 29, 2008

5 months and counting...


I've been feeling sort of guilty that I hadn't posted in a whole month. Truth be told, I started this blog purely as a way to keep a journal for Jake.  I knew that I would be more likely to consistently post if I had people to share it with! A month may not seem like a long time between posts, but 4 weeks in the life of a growing baby is a huge chunk!  Last posting I shared the exciting news that Jake had begun rolling over and all that.  And now a month has gone by, and somehow Jake is a 5 month old, active pre-toddler.    As far as developmental stuff, Jake is now about 16 pounds, 27 inches. He is in the 85th percentile for height! (we suspect he gets it from his grandpas...it's certainly not from Wesley or me)  He is teetering on the edge of sitting up by himself, runs around the house in his walker (Literally runs--watch out if you ever come over.. it's like suicide bumper cars around here) and we think crawling is only weeks away.  In the meantime, he has created his own way of getting around.  The current method involves planting his face into the carpet, sticking his bum in the air, and running on the balls of his feet--it sort of looks like a lawn mower or wheel barrow if you can picture it.  it's hilarious.  the other morning, he was laying in his baby gym playing with his toys. I left him for 5 minutes and when I returned, he was nowhere to be found.. within just minutes he had plowed his way all the way across the living room! It was incredible. It's crazy when I think about how fast he is growing up... I'm losing my sweet little baby! He is swiftly becoming an independent little traveler, and I couldn't be more terrified.  


on the move, losing interest in his stationary gym

  He now rips the gym down, I guess it's more fun this way.

Speaking of terrified, as summer changes to fall, I am becoming increasingly anxious.  I have no idea how to deal with winter and an infant.  Wesley and I went shopping in Park City a few weeks ago.  We were getting ready to leave, and a cool breeze hit us--by cool I mean maybe oh, 65 degrees? Jake immediately started whining, and didn't stop til we covered him head to toe with a blanket.  My first thought--Jake, if you are having trouble with 65 degrees, you are so gonna be toast this winter. any tips on running errands with a baby in the winter? I welcome any and all advice :)  
As for fun stuff this month.. we went to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake! We went with my old roommate Cheronne, her husband Jeremy, and there 1 year old son Brayden.  We had a blast! Even Jake seemed to enjoy himself. he was awake for the bird show, slept through the stinky reptile house, and woke up for the giraffes. all in all, a successful outing.  





Also, Wesley got new hours at his job.  He works about 6 hours a day in the office and then a few at home.  A few days each week he works those hours from 6 AM to noon, and then comes home!! Although he still has to work quite a bit after that, it's so nice having him in the house!! Jake loves the extra attention, and I just love having my cute hubby around a little more.  Since he is spending so much time behind his computer, we decided to update the home office, making it a little more comfy for my hardworking breadwinner.  We found an awesome deal on a ginormous desk at Costco, and after 2 evenings assembling it, our office was transformed from a folding table ghetto to a plywood masterpiece!! yay for costco! 

(This isn't our office..i found the pic courtesy of costco.com)
In other updates, I have been working on decorating the nursery.  In honor of Jake's favorite stuffed animal, the Giraffe, we are doing a safari theme. If anyone has any cool cheap ideas in that direction, I welcome any help!  
I think that's all for now.  stay tuned :)

These are just a few pics that I loved and thought I would share. :)

12 comments:

Sabine Schindler said...

Great Job, Kristie! I admire anyone keeping up with their blogg!!
I love all the pictures, but best the people who are in them. Especially
"mein Maennel"

Love
Mom

Unknown said...

Yay for growing up! It's crazy to think that in 5 months little Boyd who just came into the world today will be doing the things Jake is doing now! Jake is the big kid on the block now. haha. I miss you guys! Bummer that I don't get to come out and see you anymore. Oh well...we'll just have to look forward to Thanksgiving! Love you!

Meghan and Tyler said...

Yay, I love blogs. Your little boy is so cute, we can't get over it...and what is this baby Boyd was born?! Man you guys have too much excitment in your extended families. I can't wait to see your crazy bumper car kid tomorrow!!

Molly said...

He is just so stinking cute!

jax from the harmon squad said...

Believe me, you'll blink and he'll be celebrating his 2nd birthday. And your child is insanely adorable. Although I wish I could see the lawn mower in person...

The Thelins said...

He's growing up! I can't believe how big or how cute he's getting. And I LOVE that he discovered how to get himself around. You need to get a video of that and post it! I'm really sad Peyton won't have her cousin to play with, now that they're getting more interactive. We really miss you guys. Also, congratulations on the office and the better schedule. It must be SO nice to have your hubby around more. And PS, I LOVE the idea of a safari room! It's so fitting and so cute.

Andrea Forsyth said...

i know you know this, but seriously. jake is a stud. i hope we have a girl so we can arrange a marriage. she'd be just the right age. that way we can have some fiiine looking grandchildren:)

Andrea Forsyth said...

i guess for jake's sake maybe i should hold off on plans in case i have a hobbit child or something:)

Kirsti said...

Hi kristie- I don't know if you remember me, but I was Jerai's roommate her first year at BYU-I. I did a winter in Idaho with a baby and I think the hardest part is that you never want to go outside! When you do, start your car early and invest in one of those zip up full body jackets. They have some with a slit for carseat buckles. Then you can just take it off when you are in a hot building (cuz they always turn the heat way up when its cold outside!)We also have a safari room theme from target: tiddlywinks and I love it!! Their stuff isn't too expensive and its really cute! My blog has pictures of his room and here's the target link: http://www.target.com/Tiddliwinks-Safari-Bedding-Collection/dp/B0011G97X8/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3/602-2425373-7151843
it looks like they've changed it a little since we got ours, but the accessories would still be great if you had different bedding.
Your blog is cute and your baby is adorable!!
-Kirsti clark

Kirsti said...

http://jkclark.blogspot.com/2008/04/tylers-room-makeover.html
here is the post of his room- you can see how its different from the target one. Let me know if you find some great bedding or accessories- I'm always looking for more cute stuff!

Jerai Moulton said...

Your little family is so cute! I love all of the pictures, especially the one towards the end of you and Jake! Jake looks ADORABLE and you look beautiful! (On a side note..how did you cope when your mom left when Jake was born).

Doug & Robyn Ellis said...

As far as winter for the little guy, if he's still in the infant seat, get the little zippy things made especially for that seat. No need for a jacket or blanket with that. If he graduates into the bigger carseat, then the thinner snowsuits are the way to go. Hopefully he loves hats! That will keep his little head & ears toasty.