Cutest Mia,
A couple of months ago you turned FIVE. This year has been a big one for you!
You are having the most wonderful time going to school. On your first day, you chose to wear this shirt, so that all your new classmates would know how friendly you are.


Within days, you would complain if I picked you up too promptly, because you wanted extra time to use the playground. I worried initially that you would be a trouble maker in class. You had a tendency to blurt things out and distract the class with your silliness. Luckily, the combination of a loving and firm teacher, together with your logical understanding of the rules quickly eliminated this problem. I know you'll really miss your teacher and friends when it's time for kindergarten in a few months, but I'm not worried for you. You'll be sure to make friends fast, and I can already see how much you love to learn. Every day you come home singing songs you've memorized in class. You've even memorized most of the Preamble and the Bill of Rights. You really are a gifted little girl.




In December, you landed the part of Mary in your school Christmas Program. (At least 6 girls wanted the part, so you all rolled dice for it.) You were just about the cutest, most animated Mary I've ever seen. :)




Your Ballet/Tap/Jazz combo class has been another great thing in your life. You enjoy the challenge, don't complain or vocalize frustration when your teacher pushes you to improve, and seem to feel joy in expressing yourself in this way. You've had two recitals on the "big stage" and shined brightly in both. You often tell me that you wish all ballet practices could be performed on stage. I'm not sure how, but you don't seem to have an ounce of stage fright in your tiny body. Watching you up there is one of the most adorable things I've ever seen. Dance and performing are the perfect creative outlet for your spunky, fearless personality.







This past year, we decided to spring for annual passes to Disneyland. We were able to take you kids to California several times over the past 12 months. A few visits just us, but also some trips with your cousins on both sides of the family. You were such a fun little adventurer! (As usual, totally fearless.) You rode every single ride that you were tall enough for, (and thanks to a little rule bending with your thick soled hiking boots, you even rode a few more daring ones!) It was so fun experiencing everything with you. From the Tower of Terror, to Thunder Mountain, to meeting every Disney Princess you could find. And of course, your all time favorite things: The Haunted Mansion, and eating Beignets at the French Market.






You continue to love crafting, coloring, and reading books. Well, not quite reading yet, but Jake reads to you all the time, and between his help and your awesome preschool teacher, we are getting lots closer to independence.
Favorite movie of this year: Frozen was temporarily replaced by the new Cinderella with real people. I took you to see it in theaters, and then you requested to have your Omi take you again a week later. You also dressed up as her for Halloween, and later requested a "Cinderella butterfly cake" for your 5th birthday.

Biggest injury of the year: splitting your head wide open thinking you could do a standing backflip on the wall between the hot tub and the pool at Omi's house. It took 6 stitches to sew your head back together. But other than the initial trauma, you recovered fast with no additional problems, thank Heavens. Mom on the other hand.. will be reliving the sound your head made when it slammed into the tile..forever.
Another big change around here: Mommy got pregnant again with a new baby! I don't know if you'll remember this one day, but mom was pretty darn sick this time around. Unfortunately you saw me "get sick" dozens of times. You were the most attentive, helpful friend through it all. Every time it was your turn to pray, you would say "Please bless the baby to hurry up and grow bigger, so mommy won't feel sick anymore".
You spent hours and hours entertaining Caleb, picking up after him, even helping him get dressed in the morning when Mom was feeling especially rotten. The past few months have opened my eyes to just how grown up, responsible, and capable you've become. Somehow, my heart hurts to think about it, but also swells with pride at the independent little lady living in my house. Thank you for being such a big girl when I needed you. Thank goodness I'm feeling lots better now, right? Back to being silly ;)
Speaking of the new baby: You kids were really hoping for a girl. I was too, for your sake. I had sisters growing up, and really wanted that for you. But apparently Heavenly Father felt differently, because we are having another boy! Your big brother Jake was pretty upset initially. But you seemed ok with it. The next morning when I was driving you to school, you brought it up all on your own and said, "Mom, don't worry, I'm not sad that it's a boy. Because I like playing Minecraft just as much as I like playing with dolls. I'll be fine." I was touched and amused buy your logical and darling conclusion. I then reminded you that you and I would be the only girls in the family--meaning that we could be very special friends, and could do lots of fun one on one things together throughout our lives. You liked this idea so much, that you've now decided that you "only want boys when you have your own babies one day". Apparently the idea of "you and me, girls only" is just way too exciting. ;)



Mia, you will do just fine with three brothers. If anyone can handle that, its you. Your spunky, energetic personality shines bright no matter who you are with. You love being Queen of the Castle. You are up for anything--it's really just like you said before.. You have just as much fun playing video games with Jake and wrestling with Caleb as you do playing dress up and dancing.



You have such a strong presence. When you were younger, I sometimes worried that I would have trouble connecting with you. I felt like we were so different. I've struggled throughout my life with feelings of sensitivity and nervousness. Although I can be bubbly and fun in smaller more intimate settings, I tend to shrivel up in big groups. Bravery is something I've had to consciously work at. But you: you are a powerhouse. Parenting you, I feel like I'm walking a tricky line. I want to teach you to be polite, to understand when it's important to be calm and quiet, to learn about patience. At the same time, I don't want to crush your vibrant spirit. You have an inner confidence that is rare. You light up a room just by being in it, you love everyone who is kind to you, and you aren't afraid to tell us everything you are thinking. You continue to love life. Thinking back to your movie of the year "Cinderella" for a minute: You loved the whole thing, but the two things you loved most were Cinderella's big blue swirling butterfly covered dress, and this quote: "Have Courage and Be Kind". Soon after we saw the movie, you requested that we make something pretty for your wall with that quote on it. "Courage and Kindness"... you have these two virtues in spades my little princess.


A few months before your 5th birthday, on one of our trips to Disneyland, we spent an evening at Huntington Beach. We walked down the pier to get dinner at Ruby's, and enjoyed watching the sun set over the ocean. Life slowed down a bit for awhile, and I'm glad--because as I watched you, watching the waves roll past, I saw something beautiful.

One day, this little girl will be all grown up. It's already happening, so quickly, and I'm heartsick over it. It's been the greatest privilege of my life to be your mom. Even though I know there will be joy in seeing you grow into your potential, I still find myself willing time to hold still. Thank you for being my daughter. Thank you for being courageous and kind. Thank you for being my Mia. I love every single bit of your existence.






















No comments:
Post a Comment