Sunday, November 1, 2015

Caleb's 2nd Birthday Letter

My darling Caleb. Here I sit, a year later to write you another birthday letter. It really has been a great big year for you! As I think about the hurdles we've conquered together, the little squishy happy moments, the hard loud frustrating moments, and all the memories in between, my heart is full. 
Caleb, you are so full of passion. When you are upset, boy do you let us know. But when you are happy--its magic. You light up every room with your bubbly energy and joyful spirit. And I've never had a toddler who wants me to snuggle peacefully in bed with him before he sleeps. Jake and Mia needed space before falling asleep. But not you. You are the most snuggly, smoochie, lovey little boy on the entire planet. 

Although we had lots of happy joyful days, your second year wasn't the easiest. You took a long time to start talking, and would often get very frustrated with the communication barrier. There were many times when you would just scream and cry because we couldn't connect.
Last Thanksgiving, you caught a cold, a really bad cold. It turned into croup and your fever spiked all the way up to 104.5. That cold was only the beginning of a series of fevers and colds that winter, always ending with a wicked ear infection and fevers up to 105. 
(You'll notice that Pluto is in most of these pictures--or as you called him "Da-Dah". We actually bought him for you that Thanksgiving, when you got really sick.  I think you connected with him pretty deep at the time. He became your favorite snuggle buddy through every sickness and sadness.  We actually ended up buying 2 more of them, just so you could have one at Omi's house, and a back up incase yours needed to be washed)
After about 6 months of this, we finally took you to an ENT. This turned out to be a big turning point in your little life. I still remember how I felt in that office, where we met that jolly large Doctor who would give us our miracles.  He not only confirmed our suspicion about your need for an ear-tube surgery, but he also told us about the fluid build up behind your ear drums. I sat in his office, and he had me plug my ears with my fingers. He told me that this was how you had been receiving the world for at least 6 months. He guessed that this was likely the reason for your speech delay. I remember crying with relief and hope afterwards in my car. Could this surgery help you not to hurt anymore? Would it get rid of all these pesky fevers, antibiotics, and sad scary nights of checking your temperature every 2 hours? And would you be able to hear properly again, and maybe even start talking soon?

The surgery was scheduled for about 3 weeks later, the day before your birthday actually. Your dad and I took you to the surgical center together that morning.  In this next picture you were getting wheeled away from us with your trusty pal Pluto.
You were only away from us and under sedation for maybe 10 minutes--so quick and easy. Honestly the toughest part was probably just waking up afterwards.  :(
And then we just had to wait. About 2 weeks later we saw an audiologist who tested your hearing.  Your hearing was back up to 100%! They said your moods would improve immediately, and that hopefully your speech would improve dramatically over the next few months.

It's now October, and I'm so happy to say that they were totally right! We are blown away by how much happier you are, how much better you sleep, and how much you are talking now. Most of the things you say still sound like gibberish, but I feel hopeful because I know we are on the right track. And you are so excited to be able to finally communicate! You are so loud, but so silly and happy most of the time, that we can hardly scold you! And most importantly, you haven't had a fever in 2.5 months, which is a feat we never conquered in your second year.

Even though you had some tough trials, you still found plenty of time to get up to all kinds of shenanigans. You are the wildest little toilet paper unrolling, book shelf dumping, crayon on the wall drawing, climbing on the counters, crazy boy I've ever known. If it's quiet, we know you are up to something sneaky. 
(We still don't know how he and his cousin Isla got these chairs in here without injury.)

When you decide that someone is awesome, you are All-In. When we drive to Omi and Opi's house, you will enthusiastically run inside, wandering around shouting "Lo?!?!" until you find someone to run and hug. When we do FaceTime with grandma and grandpa, no one else can get a word in, because you want your face right on the screen so you can giggle and grin, and repeatedly say "HI" at full volume. You've put all our friends and family under your happy spell.

You love your siblings like crazy. Mia started pre-kinder this year so you and I have alone time 3 mornings a week. You never know what to do with yourself when they are gone. Sometimes you love on them a little too hard. You are a human bowling ball (sometimes cannon ball). In your enthusiasm to run in for a hug, you've knocked us all over many times. Even though Mia is 2.5 years older than you, thanks to her petite bone structure and your large one, you guys both weigh 32 pounds. I've had people ask if you were twins when we go shopping. She is growing into her big sister roll really nicely--you two love to dance and wrestle and destroy the playroom together. Recently, she loves helping you get dressed, and will even help put your socks and shoes on when we leave the house.
In your eyes Jake is a super hero! He's been your danger protector-in-chief, but also snuggles you when you are sick or sad, and reaches the high shelves to get things down for you. You love playing the Wii with your siblings.. in a stroke of genius, we took the batteries out of one controller. Now you can happily "play along" without messing up their progress. ;) 
Jake and Mia have been anxiously waiting for you to grow up a little bit more so you can really keep up with them. Every week your communication improves, and if we could just get those pesky temper tantrums in check, you'll officially fit into their club.
Although you only said a handful of words before your tube surgery, one word was used very consistently. "Da---eee". For your entire first year, dad was very busy with work, and finishing up graduate school. So he just wasn't around much. And then right after graduation we bought a house and Dad started commuting over an hour to work each way. Bottom line, your poor "da-ee" doesn't get to be home all that much. But this hasn't stopped you from practically worshiping the ground he walks on. Several times a day, you'll ask about him, and the moment he comes home, you only have eyes and attention for him. When you are doing cool tricks, you'll repeatedly yell Da-ee, making sure he is still has his eyes locked and glued on you. You didn't use my name until recently.. but Da-ee has been in your head for months. No matter what you do together, you just melt for him. I'm certain the feeling is mutual.
You love to say family prayers. In fact, anywhere we go to eat, you loudly should "Pair!!!" insisting that we take the time to say Thanks. Without fail, I catch you sneaking bites through the prayer, and it makes me crazy because it's so cute.
You have very strong opinions. If I show you two food options in your high chair, it's not enough to just point to the one you want. You will grab the Yes and punch the No. If you don't want any of it, you'll punch wildly and yell "Queeeeeeema" (Clean up). Same goes for your clothes. You're really into Mickey, and Minions, and Cars. I have to hide those shirts if I want you to wear any of your other lovingly purchased, much nicer outfits for a change. 

Speaking of eating habits--you're an odd little duck. On the one hand, I've never seen a kid with a bigger sweet tooth. Cookies, chocolate, frosting, soda, whatever you can get your paws on. But then you continually surprise us with your love of veggies, and weird bland foods. One time while you were out running errands with Omi, she let you hold a loaf of multi grain bread and take a bite.. now whenever you see a loaf at her house, you want to hold it and go to town. We've tried just cutting off a slice, but it seems to be all or nothing for you. I'm impressed that you like the hard crust--Your older siblings won't touch the stuff. I think there must be more German in you than the rest ;)
Remember how I said you only recently started saying my name? I should clarify something. You don't call me "mom", you call me "Mop". You know those Minions from Despicable Me? You talk just like them. All your words sound "similar" to the real thing, just with a little bit of Caleb flair added. You LOVE minions, so it's become a running joke in the family that you must be one for real. I know it's important for you to learn the right way to pronounce things, but I'll admit I get a kick out of your minion lingo. I'll miss it when it's gone.

(this was right after we saw a special private group screening of the Minions movie--Opi won this sleeping bag in the raffle and handed it right over to you.)
 
Funny thing about you--you LOVE ducks. You thinking feeding them is pretty fun, but mostly you just like shouting at them, as loudly as possible. You just stand there, yelling "Duckkkk" at the top of your lungs. 
You and me, we've have some hard times. On top of the constant ear infections, you are pretty stubborn. When you don't want to listen to me you'll just ignore me and lay face down on the floor. It's like planking-- or a silent protest. Pretty funny, but frustrating, especially when you decide to plank in the middle of a crowded hallway, or on a street in the middle of Disneyland. It's better than the screaming tantrums (we have that variety sometimes too), but still--you are definitely determined. 
In spite of our hard times (or maybe they've contributed) our relationship is very strong. Somehow, you've become both fiercely independent, and a loyal momma's boy. You have so much spirit and joy to share. In a lot of ways I think you must be fearless. But if you need some courage or comfort, I'm the one you run to. You give amazing hugs, warm and full, just like your dad. Every word you say comes out very loud and vigorous, but your actions speak even louder. You are a lover to the max. Life is just getting crazier and busier with you 3 kids springing up faster everyday. But having you lay on my shoulder helps my soul to find calm and quiet. I could look into your bright blue eyes, and kiss your soft squishy cheeks all day long. And the cool part is you would probably let me do it too. You and me, we're pals. I'm excited to see what the coming year will bring for you. I have hope that it'll be a great experience for us both. You are so much happier now that you can communicate, and I think that part will just get better everyday. But you know what? When the inevitable rough times come, it'll be ok. Just keep on giving me those awesome Caleb hugs, and I'll be a happy "Mop".






2 comments:

Sydney Marné said...

I love it Kristie!!! You are so great with words. Loved reading all about Calebs 2nd year and I'm so glad he's doing better with his ear tubes!! Love that minion boy :)

Sabine Schindler said...

I love it, Kristie!! And I'm so happy I get to experience it all right with you! I'll be another "mop" any day and take his little tantrums (loud or silent) if I can hold him, squish him, kiss him and look into his blue eyes!!