Tomorrow is your second birthday. Once again, I'm sitting down to write you a special letter. 2 years old--you're such a big girl now! I remember how on your first birthday, I could already see your fiery personality coming through.
My instincts were spot on.
You've never met someone you couldn't win over with your darling smile and silly disposition. Anyone who's been around you for longer than a few minutes can openly see that you are a force to be reckoned with. Words that have been used to describe you most often are "firecracker" and "pistol". A year later you are still tiny as can be too! I weighed you last week, and you finally broke 20 pounds.. a milestone most kids reach by their first birthday. You really are an adorable little pipsqueak, even though we wish you'd hurry up and put on a few pounds (I've got the Doc breathing down my neck! sheesh!)
(not to mention, you create the most fabulous bed head ever)
Medically speaking, you finally outgrew your dairy allergy, but peanuts are still a no-no, and we suspect that you have some severe outdoor allergies as well. Every climate and weather change seems to bring a new wave of eczema and hives. But through it all, you're a total trooper! As long as we have plenty of aquaphor and cortisone cream on hand, you are a happy girl. (Although one of your most common phrases is "I'm itchy!!!") I love you baby girl, and I promise I'll keep working on finding better solutions for your sensitive skin.You talk. A lot.
Sooo so much. Can't even believe how many words and sentences you know. You're even pretty good at singing a few songs! You talk to anyone who will engage with you. The other day we were putting some change into one of those Christmas charity buckets in front of the grocery store (you LOVE doing this). As we left, I told you "say Merry Christmas!"... You paused and said "Merry Chrisena Tree!!!!" (Don't know what makes me more crazy happy..the way you pronounce Christmas, or the fact that you refuse to bring up the holidays without talking about the trees... you are nuts about Chrisena trees")
You love the people in your life. Even though you are on the move 24/7, hunting for new adventures, we still know how important we are to you. Jake is your number one buddy. I felt a little guilty when you were first born, knowing that you would be 2 years and 8 months apart. I'd hoped for a closer age gap, so that you'd be able to have a great friendship early on. You know what? It doesn't even matter. The two of you are so close. I've been complaining to your dad lately that my workload at home has gotten a lot worse the past couple months...mostly because you and Jake have become little partners in crime, and pretty much trash one room after another with your energetic play. The house may look like a disaster zone 90% of the time, but it brings me joy to know that you two are developing such a tight bond. He's still your protector too, and while you guys might get into lots of trouble together, he is always there trying to keep you safe. Your current favorite game together is playing "night-night".. I keep finding blankets and pillows in random corners of the house where you set up your little nests and read books together. (Other favorite game is emptying your entire closet.. I don't like that one as much.)
Daddy started grad school this summer, so you kids don't get to see him as often as you'd like. But we make the time together count, and you enjoy every second--whether its a family Costco run, a fun trip, or just playing on the living room floor. Any night that daddy isn't at school during bedtime, you make sure to find him and get a kiss before going to sleep.
(he even painted your fingernails once! You want me to do this constantly)
Jake started school this summer too--preschool. While he's there, you and I have been able to spend lots of quality time together. I feel like we are becoming good friends, and I'm understanding the way you see the world just a little better. You're becoming a pretty good shopping partner--you LOVE picking out clothes and accessories for yourself. Also, I love having you sit in the cart, facing me--we make lots of silly faces at each other, and you love giving me kisses, and having me kiss your eyes one at a time while they are closed :) When you get tired of shopping, I'm grateful for my iPad and iPhone.. 2 things you are completely obsessed with now.
(You always grab your backback on the way out the door!)
Your eyes are glassy in this one from crying.. can't remember what made you sad, but as usual, you ran right to me for comfort. I love being your mom.
I took some pictures of you last week, to commemorate your second birthday. I had a tough time getting you to look at the camera, because you were "in the zone".. When you're busy making discoveries, you become extremely focused on your own goal--I can see by the look in your eyes that it's going to be impossible for you to connect with me. You're like that sometimes, so full of desire to explore, that I feel like you're in another world.Sometimes though, the thing you'll want to focus on, is me. You've got a stare that can look right into my heart and soul. And I can see straight into yours too. Without saying anything, I just know how much we love each other.
You are my firecracker. Tough as nails, strong willed, and bursting with joyful energy. You'll go far in this life baby girl. You have a family who loves you, and we know you'll do great things. Here's to another year of your amazing life! I love you--So much that I wanna go in your room right now and give you a squeeze. I think I'll do just that.
Happy Birthday my sweet Mia girl :)













4 comments:
Happy Birthday Mia! I love you lots and miss you too, but we'll see you real soon. Opi.
So sweet Kristie. Happy Birthday to Mia!
Loved this! You perfectly described that cute little Mia. Happy Birthday!!!!! We love you too!
she's such a doll. and you're a total fox, kristie.
Post a Comment