Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas in VA--Part one

It's hard to believe that the holidays are over. Every year they seem to go by faster and faster. And now we are into the dreaded winter months. I don't call it dreaded until January--before then the snow is somewhat fun and tolerable because of the warm christmas fuzzies. But here we are, ready to find enjoyment indoors as we wait for spring and sunshine. We just flew back home this past sunday from our 2 week Virginia holiday. This trip was full of adventures, some awesome and some not. This post will just be about the first week of the trip.. the part spent at my parent's house.

As much as I want to get to the parts of my story that include heartwarming photos, I just can't skip over the journey it took to go home for Christmas. If you know me well, or follow my blogs, you'll know that I have major travel anxiety. I will spend the entire week before a trip planning and making nazi lists and pretty much organizing down to the smallest detail. In my opinion, traveling with babies is not for the faint hearted, and being OCD organized on a flight with a wiggly toddler is the only way to go. So here I was on that fateful friday. We had a 5 pm flight and I was just about to put jake down for a nice long nap. Wes was at the gym, and I was feeling pretty smug, thinking about how all my planning was paying off. I would have a good 3 hours leftover to pick up the house and make myself pretty. Finally, a relaxing travel experience to come. Mostly relaxing anyway--We knew that there was a blizzard brewing in Virginia, but I had double checked with my airline that morning, and everything was scheduled to go on time.

Thats when I got the call.
In an annoyingly cheerful voice comes the automated message: "Your flight has been cancelled." I sat in shocked silence for a few moments and then did the only thing that made sense. I called my dad, and tried not to cry.

Delta (the devils airline) had rescheduled us for the next day. The thing is, that blizzard was starting friday night and was supposed to reach record breaking heights on Saturday. My dad knew right away that the airport would surely be shut down, and we would all be stuck until at least Monday. After some magical maneuvering, he was able to get us flights out on Southwest (Heavens Airline) that would be leaving almost 3 hours earlier.

Pro's: we were able to get home that day!
Cons: The next two hours were incredibly stressful, I didnt have time for Jake's nap, or to make myself decent, and we barely made the flight. (not to mention the sinkful of dirty dishes and the unemptied diaper pail that were really smelly to come home to..yikes..)

That night was quite an adventure..Jessica's husband was flying from Phoenix, and Syd's new boyfriend was coming to meet the fam, flying from Nashville. AND WE ALL MADE IT!!! our flights were literally the last ones to get in before the airport was shut down. so despite delays and cancellations, (and even baggage stuck in snow on the jetway half the night), everyone made it home for Christmas.
**Props to dad for driving us home in the blizzard at 3 in the morning. You are an animal :) **

So for the rest of this post I am just going to post some pictures from those first few days, when we were all snowed in together.

Wonderful things about Virginia:

I LOVE my parents house at Christmas. My mom is a first class decorator.. Its pretty much Christmasland and I know I'll never be able to do it as good.

I love being able to sit down with the whole fam.. We realized this year that with the new addition of the boyfriend, we are starting to have a pretty crowded table--and I love it!
(this is the morning after the horrible travel day/night. we were all pretty out of it)

EILEENS
The best bakery/deli ever. The snow and ice couldn't stop us from venturing out for lunch!




Jake and Sawyer finally got to become little friends!!! It was so fun watching them interact.. (maybe in 6 more months Sawyer will be able to keep up with Jakes speed--and maybe by then Jake will learn to share, and stop stealing all Sawyer toys...)


We finally got to spend some time with Mitch! For those readers who don't know, Sydney wrote him for the second half of his mission. They had only met once and its been a whirlwind romance since he got home in November. We loved getting to know him for the few days that he was in Virginia.
It was great having Wesley with me for the entire trip. Usually he has to work, so he'll come for just a few days, or often not at all when I come to VA. But this time, he was able to come for the whole 2 weeks! Thanks Wes!


Jake helped make sugar cookies--I'm not sure if he liked pressing the cookie cutters into the dough or eating it more--Its a toss up.


I don't think this picture needs any more explanation than
YUM.
Christmas morning!!! Rice cereal!!! (and no, not the gross baby food stuff...if you are curious, I'll send you the recipe.)

Davids teachers helped him pick out Christmas presents for the whole fam! He got cheesy christmas ties for the men.. they even play Christmas songs when you squeeze them! (I will definitely be forcing wesley to wear his at least once a season--forever.)

And he got us all fun socks!

I was worried that Jake would open one gift and be totally distracted, but he caught on pretty quickly with the whole unwrapping thing--He really seemed to take a few minutes (alright, seconds) to appreciate each gift before ripping into the next!
Riding Grandpa! (by the way, this is now his new obsession. He tries to climb onto my back any time I'm not standing up)
If you've never been to a Wegmans Grocery Store, you haven't lived. Its like a theme park of foods. My first stop was to buy a sweet scoop of gelato. mmm.

Well, I think this post has dragged on long enough. But there is still a lot more to post!!! My next one will be about week two in VA--at the Massenutten Ski Resort. Stay tuned!


9 comments:

Tracy and Odie said...

love the photos and the post! i'm pretty sure traveling with a kid is what scares me the most about being a parent! yikes! so glad you guys made it.

Emile Gibson said...

I'm completely with you on OCD traveling: My first trip with Lynny was pretty good thanks to prior planning. But poor Lizzy had to spend an extra day with me (thank you Mother Nature!) planning my brains out to to prep for an unexpected flight cancellation/change. I'm pretty sure I was a terror.

Sabine Schindler said...

Great post, Kristie! I still think it was a Christmas miracle how all of you made it home that night.
What a fun time we all had. THANKS for coming home and sharing your family with us!! We miss you!

Unknown said...

It WAS a Christmas Miracle!!!! That was so exciting when everyone made it just in the nick of time! (except for the part where we were all running on 3 hrs of sleep the next day). Also, I think I need to just refer people to your post because I'm overwhelmed and you did a great job summarizing the trip! It was so much fun. I love that Sawyer and Jake really got to interact this time around. Love you!

Unknown said...

Also you forgot to mention the part where me, you, and dad were on the phone 3-way trying to sort out your flight and you were in the background bawling! Haha! That was funny...

Andrea Forsyth said...

have i ever mentioned that i miss you guys?

you're right - wegman's totally is the theme park of all grocery stores. my mother-in-law is always sure to take me there when we're in philly. and i'm always happy we went.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog with nice picture showing the Christmas celebration. The header image of your blog looks awesome. It was nice going through your blog. Ihampers.co.uk

Meghan and Tyler said...

Kristie, I am so sorry about your flight woes. That is too funny, because I was thinking about you guys flying to Virginia on Friday, but decided that you probably didn't have any problems because the storm wasn't supposed to come in until Saturday. I was even going to call you, but decided to not add to the holiday stress. Funny how that is. I am glad that you made it there in one piece and it was totally fun to see all of your pictures. You have such a neat family. I can't wait til part II!

The Thelins said...

1. I LOVE what you said about January and the dreaded winter months- I totally agree about the Christmas fuzzies making December tolerable.
2. Delta really is the devil's airline
3. Syd's boyfriend!
4. Way to go Uncle Ralph for organizing and completing operation "home by Christmas"
I loved the new pictures and the update. Can't wait to read part 2!