I have this small problem called poor followthrough. My husband and those lucky enough to spend a large amount of time with me can tell you it's true. I generally have good intentions, and often bore Wesley with all my schemes. My house is littered with good intentions... a guitar and flute that mostly collect dust, half empty photo albums, pieces of fabric that I swear will one day magically turn into a quilt... the list goes on forever. I find that the more I go on about them, the better the chance that I will shame myself into actually going through with my plans. Take this blog for example. I have NEVER kept up a journal, and I feel like this blog is a representation of something I would very much like to be--a person who finishes what they start. So it's 11 PM, and I just know if I don't update now, another week will go by before I find a chance to sit down and write. So feel honored, because I am giving up reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for you. (and no, it's not my first time reading it--if there is anything you should know about me, it's that I will read a good book over and over... thats actually why I don't have more time to blog. It hasn't got much to do with being a mom.. I just like to spend all my free time reading and re-reading.)
So on with the post. I would like to share some of our recent adventures and firsts, naturally with a bundle of photos.
Jake had a very inevitable first--a big whopping shiner. I knew it was coming. The question was how, when, and where. Well he got it climbing the steps in front of the Provo Temple. It was about 3 weeks ago, while my Aunt and Uncle were visiting from Germany.. and it was right between the eyes. Poor little guy. I had just set him down and he got so excited about reaching the pretty fountains, that he rushed the steps like he would the carpet ones at home. He was pretty shaken up, but I let him splash his hands in the fountains for awhile, and pretty soon he forgot all about it. I didn't forget though.. Once I managed to stop replaying the loud crack I heard when Jake collided with the pavement, I still had his bruised and puffy souvenir to look at for about a week.

At least his nose didn't break right?

My Uncle Siggi was doing press photography during General Conference, so he and my Aunt were out here for a few days and had some time for a visit. Jake loved them and we had so much fun!

For the first time since I moved to Utah, I went to the Cornbellys Pumpkin Fest at Thanksgiving Point. Let me tell ya, it was well worth the wait, because going with my cute boys was so so so fun! If you haven't gone, make plans to do it sometime. You won't regret it!
Jake was a bit skeptical of the pumpkins all over the place..
...But he LOVED the "Corn" box!

I decided that since I'm not so great with the crafty projects, I needed to start with something a little simpler than a quilt. I have taken on refinishing some of our furniture. We have these 4 hand-me-down book shelves that are totally functional, but don't match any of our stuff. So I have been turning them black. And no, I'm not awesome, they are just laminate on the outside and I was able to just spray paint them. But they represent a desire that I actually followed through with. Here was my first completed one! yay me! I think if I can actually finish doing ALL FOUR bookshelves, I may even do the dining room table! (we'll see, that would actually involve sanding and priming..)

Lastly, a quick rundown of some new "Jake things".
1. He sings.. not in tune or anything.. but he loves to shout during the church hymns, and "la- la's" along with the Elmos World song on Sesame Street.
2. Speaking of Sesame Street.. as soon as Jake hears the harmonica that signals the start of the theme song and a new episode, he will drop what he is doing, run to the living room, and begin waving his arms and spinning in circles til he falls.
3. Not only is "no" still the favorite word, but he now shakes his head furiously while saying no.. just to make his point more clear.
4. Second favorite word.. shoes..which also secretly means socks and gloves, and sometimes coat.
5. Jake will often shut his door and climb into his tent and play.. if I try to join him he usually pulls the tent flap down. There is a strict "no old people" policy going on in there. The other day I caught him lounging while casually flipping through a harry potter book, and I managed to snap a picture before he kicked me out.
Last but not least, here are a couple pictures from the park. I just thought they were cute.
If you made it through the entire post, thanks for reading!


8 comments:
i think you probably follow through with more than you realize. but it's good to know my house isn't the only one chock full of projects (like the baby quilt i started for my nephew who turns 2 in december...?) how did you spray paint your shelves? i tried doing that with one of ours and the paint kept rubbing off - what paint did you use?
you guys are darling, as always! happy fall!
SO cute! Great stories, great story telling and great pictures!
I loved this post! It made me smile and laugh. Poor Jakey...but I guess now he's got a pretty good story and nice picture of a shiner...I never had that. I loved the list of all the cute little things he does. Especially his secret loungings in the tent. How cute! Nice job on your book shelves! It always feels so good to get things like that done! Don't worry, I've got a million projects surrounding me at all times as well. Love you guys and can't wait to see you this weekend!
Ok, first of all, you look so much like Jess in the first photo...second, I am glad that you bought a hat for Jake and I am glad that he is wearing it. So Cute!!! I agree, I have been spending all my time reading lately and feel a little slackerish some days. Maybe I shouldn't have joined a book club. Love you guys!
Kristie,
I really loved your post and all the fun pictures. I loved reading about all the new things Jake is doing, especially the tent part.
I can't wait to see you all at Christmas. It'll be glorious!! :o)
I'm proud of you for working on projects! One thing at a time. I'm surrounded by unfinished projects, especially pictures and I'm not even blogging or reading Harry Potter books.
Love you!!!!
You make me smile. I feel like I have that same disorder. Along with a slight addiction to all things Potter. Jake is looking like a mini-Wes. What a doll!!!! Sorry about the shiner- I bet in the long run it hurt you more than him :)
haha, i LOVED your long post and all the photos. darling!
I so empathize with the poor follow-throughitiveness. Good intentions should count for more. And your son is so stinking beautiful, even with a shiner!
Post a Comment