**Disclaimer*** This post is very wordy, personal and probably to much information for some people. But I'm writing it anyway. So read if you dare :) Also, there are no pictures (i know, a first for me!)
Let me give you a little background info. Jake and I have had a wonderful experience with nursing over the past 14 months. After his first 3 weeks of life, Jake refused bottles in every form, so I nursed exclusively until he was about 5 months old. At that point, I began a long and frustrating road of new foods. Until Jake was about 10 months old, he was extremely picky and I struggled to get him to eat regular foods. The doctor was actually a bit concerned at that point, because for a baby who had pretty much lived in the 70th percentile for weight, dropping to the 8th was a big jump. Apparently, breast milk isn't the most fattening diet for an active toddler :). But we kept at it, and by the time he was a year old, I had Jake doing about 50% nursing.
I consider myself very lucky for several reasons. I didn't have any major issues with nursing, and neither did Jake. I know a lot of people who have all sorts of problems, especially at the beginning, and some are just never successful in this endeavor. And then there are just people who prefer not to do it. So I'm grateful that I was both able, and excited for the experience. It's always just been something we do well together. However, over the last couple months, something changed. Jake began pulling on my shirt constantly and whining for milk. You wouldn't believe how many times his antics caused me to flash the unsuspecting public. But I worked on it, and by the time he was 13 months, we were down to 3 feeds a day.
Then, when I went home to Virginia, two things happened. First of all, Jake kept seeing his 2 month old cousin nursing, and nearly every time Sawyer got to eat, Jake would pull on my shirt and fuss until he got his way. For those who don't know.. 2 month old babies tend to eat about every 3 hours.. needless to say, it got a little frustrating, and embarrassing. And the other thing that happened was more like an epiphany for me. Watching my sister feed her tiny little runt made me notice just how enormous Jake was.
Ok, so this was my situation 2.5 weeks ago. I felt like it was finally time to wean. And really, they say the best thing for babies is to let them wean themselves. But I know my son, and thats just not something he will do for himself, unless I want to nurse him 'til kindergarten. :) So I set out to do a gradual weaning process, figuring it would take until the end of the summer. I dropped one feed at a time, and although he was very frustrated at first, within 2 weeks I had him down to one feed a day.
Ok, so back to my story about this morning. I've been doing my one feed in the wee hours of the morning. We've had this routine going where Jake gets up around 6, Wes brings him to me, and we have a good cuddle and feed for about 30 minutes. Then I put him back to bed for a couple hours. It's worked well for us, and I think it's safe to say that it's been the hardest feeding to give up. So here's the thing: If you don't nurse at least 3 times a day, your milk supply goes down. And with only one time a day, it's dwindled to almost nothing.
And basically, I'm just sad. I mean, I made the decision to stop nursing, but I kind of thought it would take a little longer and that I would have more time to get used to it. I love the closeness it brings. Jake isn't very cuddly and so it was my special time with him when he would hold still and just be with me. So, yes, I'm happy in a lot of ways to be moving on, but I do have some mixed feelings. And I wanted to write them down. Thanks for reading, I feel a lot better just being able to get it on paper. I never thought I would love nursing as much as I did, but there ya go.
8 comments:
Ohhhh, Kristie this is a sad day. I feel for you. I too, despite all the complications it's awarded me, love nursing. For me (and obviously for you) it's just such a special bonding time for me and Sawyer...and a great excuse to have him to myself and take a break every 2.5 hrs. That's why I've endured 3 rounds of mastitis and other troubles. But I guess on the bright side you won't have to stretch out your shirts, wear nursing pads, use hooter hiders...and you'll just be that much more independent again. But I can see how it's a hard thing to let go. Hang in there. Before you know it you'll be doing it all over again :). I love you!
Oh, Kristie, this made me so sad. I've only been nursing for a few weeks--and it's been a little difficult at times--but I can relate to how special that time is for you and your baby. Good for you for sticking with it so long. I've had moments when I've wondered if I'll be able to last a year, but now that I know someone who's actually done it I'm encouraged. Thanks for being such a great example as a mom!
Your post made me tear up. Kristie... I've been going through something so similar. It has been so sad and so emotional for me, knowing it was getting to be time to give it up. Jake sounds exactly like what we've been dealing with. The shirt pulling, the whining, the nursing envy of babies. Ugh, and the dwindling supply. It's so sad. I think it's way harder to let go and wean when you've had such a wonderful, bonding, experience. I'm there with you, sister. I'll be cheering you on while crying for my own inevitable loss...
i loved this post and i don't even have children! i love how honest you were. thanks for sharing. i agree with jess, you'll have another one before you know it :) let's get pregnant at the same time!!
Oh goodness...can you say "odd man out?" No, I was really happy that I could nurse for many reasons, but I can't say that I'm too sad that it's over for me. I guess one reason I'm not sad is because I got sick of pumping every two hours trying to get my supply back for 2 1/2 weeks. Also, Boyd is such a busy-body that he never snuggled, even when he was nursing. However, I am worried about gaining weight and having to wean Boyd off of a bottle. It's just interesting to see what people's trials and to see how different people are. Hang in there will the transition. I'm sure it's not going to be easy for you or Jake. He'll be cranky and you're routine might not be so convenient, but like Jess said, you'll be able to be a bit more independent and finally get your body back to yourself! Good luck! Hope your tooth (or lack of one) is feeling better. =)
Such a sad day. I've only been nursing for a few days now, and I'm dreading the day that we stop. How great that Jake loves it so much- that's sweet!
man up you pansy.
ps...i love you oh so much and admire you. sad day indeed. :(
Post a Comment